OFFICIAL SHENMUE III KICKSTARTER ANNOUNCED!!!!!

Discuss the Shenmue saga!
darkly

Re: OFFICIAL SHENMUE III KICKSTARTER ANNOUNCED!!!!!

Post by darkly »

Yukupo wrote:I have to keep checking back on the kickstarter to make sure its still real.

I'm gonna be like this for a while. :help:
Me too!! I'm still wondering if it is a trick or something. :help: :help:
Ash

Post by Ash »

Tim Surway wrote:100 times better after today. I was still reeling from game of thrones the night before but this news was even more unexpected! How's things with you?

I've been desperately trying to find some trace of the old Net/Harbour forums today but to no avail. Looks like that's dust in the wind.
Never watched the program, but I've read the books. It's really a shame about the Net/Harbour forums, but yeah, I think they're gone now. :cry:
Agent Of Fortune

Post by Agent Of Fortune »

Brotherman wrote:Looks like I'll be getting an PS4 in the future. :clap: Thank-you Sony.
I did the Kickstarter backing where I get the physical PC copy, but I'm wondering if I should up it to get a digitial copy on Playstation as well. It'd be great to play it on a Console again. As you said, looks like it's time to get a PS4. :-D
Yukupo
Administrator

Post by Yukupo »

Yeah I got the PC copy too. But chances are I'm going to have a PS4 and also buy it on PS4. (If we're lucky maybe they'll have changed their minds by then about releasing a physical PS4 copy.)

There's just something about playing it on a console that's so much better.
Matt

Post by Matt »

SHENMUE 3!!!!!!!!!!! My mind has been blown.

I watched the Microsoft conference live but i live in the uk so the sony one was on too late for me. I woke up the next morning and seen it as a headline on a game site I use. I couldn't believe it. I immediately text my friend that has himself been a life long shenmue fan.

Ive pledged $100 to the kickstarter. Honestly, watching the announcement and kickstarter videos bring tears to my eyes. Shenmue is one of the best experiences of my life. Im sooooo happy and excited. Id now happily wait as long as the game takes to be made. ITS BEING MADE! :D :D :D
Matt

Post by Matt »

Agent Of Fortune wrote:
Brotherman wrote:Looks like I'll be getting an PS4 in the future. :clap: Thank-you Sony.
I did the Kickstarter backing where I get the physical PC copy, but I'm wondering if I should up it to get a digitial copy on Playstation as well. It'd be great to play it on a Console again. As you said, looks like it's time to get a PS4. :-D
Im getting the physical copy on pc, but nearer the time il be buying a ps4 and Shenmue 3 on it. More then happy to do that as id prefer to play it on console anyway.
Brotherman

Post by Brotherman »

^ I'm starting to have some inner conflict about getting it on PS4 vs PC. I would definitely prefer a physical copy, but I would need a PC with some balls to play it at a quality that I would be satisfied with. PS4 would be cheaper overall, but no physical game copy.... :argh: Anyways....
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... eddit-ama/

Shemue 3 creator Yu Suzuki held an AMA session on Reddit today, and answered quite a few fan questions regarding the upcoming title. Among other things, Suzuki said that if the game manages to raise $10 million, “it will truly have the features of an open world.”

Interesting bits from the Q&A are compiled below:

AlexWatchtower: Will practicing moves make a return in Shenmue 3 along with the FREE battle system?

I want to do it yes!

kncrnr: Any possibility of a bicycle finally being added to Shenmue 3?

There is a 60 horsepower bike in Shenmue 1. For Shenmue, 3 I was thinking about something with 1 horsepower.

RyoHazuki12: Will we see Ryo’s Journal return? Would be cool to be able to flip the pages using the PS4’s touchpad.

I would like to bring back the Journal. That is an interesting idea, I will look into it. Thank you.

The_Dukkhanator: How accurately will Shenmue 3 be compared to your original vision of the game or will there be major compromises?

There are a total of 11 chapters that make up the whole story. Over the past 14 years I originally planned for there to 4 or five games to the series. If at all possible, I would still like to realize the full story of 11 chapters.

OfTheCoast: I’ve always wondered, why did you set the game in the 1980s rather than present day?

I wanted put forward the differences in culture and values between the two periods.

omgdonerkebab: What will Ryo do to earn money in Shenmue 3? As great and engrossing as the story and gameplay were in Shenmue 1 and 2, I (and many others) really really liked the forklift driving.

There will be part time jobs that will be indicative of those you would find in China. In the Stretch goals there will also be the old favorites.

bejii: Do you have any more details to share about the stretch goals? It’s not clear to me what a “Rapport System” or “Character Perspective System” entails.

They are new systems, so naturally they need new names. The Rapport System will govern changes in Shenhua’s actions depending on your conversations with or actions towards her. The “Character Perspective System” will highlight different characters personalities as they go through the story.

MagFreakingNeto: Will players have access to both the Japanese and English voice overs for the game?

I am thinking about that, yes. However it is not for sure.

GuppyBerkley: How much game elements/features will we be missing in the game if the campaign doesn’t reach the $5 million mark?

I will say this: if we reach the $5 mil mark, one of the things I really want to do with Shenmue 3 will become a reality. At $10 million, it will truly have the features of an open world.

vspectra: Will a day-to-night cycle and weather system return to Shenmue 3?

Of course!

The_Dukkhanator: Will the gameplay in Shenmue 3 be more contemporary or will it be more in line with past Shenmue iterations?

As for III, I would like to make a less stressful user interface, that will feature more usability. From now on, I will make that a focus.

fluidmint: Shenmue 3 is just the start. How successful does the game need to be for us to get Shenmue 4 and so on until the saga is complete?

If the fans are not happy with 3 there will not be a 4. So I please hope we can together make this game the best it can be.

2ndOpp: Will the game take advantage of the virtual reality goggles on PS4 and PC?

Right now, there are no plans for a vr system compatibility, but I love the idea of using it to peer into the world of Shenmue.

shenmue_500k: Will Shenmue 3 have any sort of multiplayer component? Perhaps Co-op or a versus mode?

I am thinking about something that would resemble that.

We’ll update our readers when more details about the game become available.

I'm not sure if we're gonna be able to reach 10 mil. :?
Agent Of Fortune

At this rate we're probably lucky to hit 5, but it's hard to tell. At least it's more transparent as to what Sony's role is in the project.
Yukupo
Administrator

Post by Yukupo »

All the kickstarter stretch goals revealed:

Update article: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ys ... ts/1275663
Matt

Post by Matt »

tbf its not goina hit $11 million. I have full confidence it will hit $5 mill though. Kickstarters tend to start moving again near the end of the campaign. Its just hit the middling lull atm.

But $11 million is wildly ambitious it would seem. Hoefully they will continue accepting donations after. This goes to show though that the Shenmue community isnt necessarily massive, but just really really dedicated in its support.

I never ever gave up on it personally. Even if I didnt believe it would be made.
Agent Of Fortune

I'm wondering if he always had these stretch goals plotted out, or if they just came up with them as the Kickstarter started to do better.

It's really slowing down, but we still have some time. No matter what, at least it's being made!
Yukupo
Administrator

Post by Yukupo »

I would guess they planned out the stretch goals. In the original image there was a fade at the bottom. They were definitely planning on unveiling more at least.

Also: Corey Marshal is back as the voice of Ryo.
Brotherman

Post by Brotherman »

The Shenmue III Kickstarter campaign has added a PlayStation 4 physical copy reward.

All backers pledging for a $60 reward tier or higher will have the option of a “Special Backer Edition” physical copy for PlayStation 4. Users will be sent a survey after the Kickstarter finishes to choose whether they want the PS4 physical copy, PS4 digital copy, PC physical copy, or PC digital copy.

If you’ve already pledged for a PC physical copy will not need to adjust their rewards if they prefer a PlayStation 4 physical copy instead.

Shenmue III can be funded at Kickstarter.

http://gematsu.com/2015/07/shenmue-iii- ... opy-reward
They're definitely listening to our request. :clap:
Brotherman

Post by Brotherman »

The Kickstarter campaign for Shenmue III has become the most successful ever for a video game, with almost 70,000 fans pledging money.
It’s an idea that would’ve seemed absurd just a few months ago, but not only is there definitely going to be a Shenmue III but it’s become one of the biggest Kickstarter projects in history.
The funding campaign ended in the small hours of the morning with 69,320 backers pledging $6,333,295 (£4.0m) to make sure the game happens.
That breaks the record for a video game on Kickstarter, which was recently set by Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night at $5.5 million.

It’s not actually the biggest video game-related total on Kickstarter though, with flop Android-based microconsole Ouya having somehow pulled in $8.6m. Card game Exploding Kittens is just ahead of that, followed by the Pebble smartwatch, a high-tech drinks cooler, and a second Pebble campaign that ended on $20.3m.
Shenmue III’s original target was $2 million, although if it’d only made that much it would’ve been more cut scene than game. The stretch goals added more gameplay elements and an expanded combat system, although creator Yu Suzuki had planned for features for a target of $11 million and beyond.
Although the details are still unclear Shenmue III does have outside backing from Sony and others, so it’s more than possible that they will now offer to make up the difference.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/18/shenmue-i ... z3gIFwZEuj
:clap:
Ash

Post by Ash »

There's going to be a PayPal set up so that people can continue to donate even though the Kickstarter's finished.