Who is responsible for keeping Shenmue III from development?

Discuss the Shenmue saga!
Jeff

Who is responsible for keeping Shenmue III from development?

Post by Jeff »

The KGB? China? Al Queda? Nancy Pelosi? Discuss...

Banned for life from Shenmue Dojo for being too awesome for the server to handle
Ryudo

Re: Who is responsible for keeping Shenmue III from development?

Post by Ryudo »

The secret society of the stonecutters.
Brotherman

Post by Brotherman »

Ryudo wrote:The secret society of the stonecutters.
LOL! I blame Sammy Corp.
Sterling
Administrator

Post by Sterling »

China would have pumped money into SO reviving the series if it hadn't been for whining fanboys. Ok, maybe that wasn't the primary reason it didn't work, but it sure got tiresome.
What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Avon wrote:China would have pumped money into SO reviving the series if it hadn't been for whining fanboys. Ok, maybe that wasn't the primary reason it didn't work, but it sure got tiresome.
Actually China didn't approve of Shenmue Online which delayed things. So it is probable. Lets all decide to email lil' Timmy (Timothy Geithner) and demand that he uses 'stimulus' money to fund the Shenmue III project.

Banned for life from Shenmue Dojo for being too awesome for the server to handle
JoePesci

Post by JoePesci »

The only people we can hold responsible for the "delay" are ourselves for not buying several copies of Shenmue when it was initially released.
Domokun goes what?

Post by Domokun goes what? »

JoePesci wrote:The only people we can hold responsible for the "delay" are ourselves for not buying several copies of Shenmue when it was initially released.

shush, don't take personal responsibility when it's so much easier (and enjoyable) to blame others!! That's the best way to go through life. :roll:

I personally blame Michael Scott.
I'm Yusuke

Post by I'm Yusuke »

Shenmue....lol
Riku

Post by Riku »

AnimeGamer183

Post by AnimeGamer183 »

Shenmue has a future?
[mYLES]

Post by [mYLES] »

It's already been 10 years since the first Shenmue and almost 7 years since the second... I'm not liking our odds.

I blame space exploration. Waste of time
Henry Spencer

Post by Henry Spencer »

When I think back on it, was Shenmue ever going to be a profitable franchise? Really? In concept, it's not the sort of game you'd imagine would sell. Makes me wonder why SEGA poured so much money into it in the first place. I know Suzuki was a real innovator, and was highly influential back then, but even for him to get away with this, I don't know, it's lucky it even got past its initial stages on the SEGA Saturn. It has a slow, cumbersome pace too, which doesn't really help matters either, and led to it getting mediocre review scores and put off a lot of gamers. I gave up on Shenmue III ever coming ages ago, like most of you.

Shenmue was never going to be a smash hit, it was pretty much destined to be a cult hit, so I just feel lucky to even get two games from this series.

Lets move on.
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

^ I disagree.
Back then many of the most amazing and best selling games took a while to get into and was about exploring and take your time.
RPGs were huge even platformers were more about exploring enviroments and back then the longer the game and interactive the more people had interest,it was the peak of the 3D gaming,was still about bigger and longer.
Shenmue took just about everything that was popular back then and put it in one game. Also asI recall it got mostly good to great reviews and was so hyped,it's just it came out on DC and after DC launched sega went back into a mess of chaos and PS2 was on the horizon so if Shenmue had one fault sadly and hate to say this..because it was on Dreamcast and a then an unproven console called Xbox made by an American company which also didn't help.

These days gaming is ADD,if you can't get into it within 5 min it's not worth playing and usually very short.
Why we have the Wii sports or FPS games and co-op and online in everything taking up the majority.
Henry Spencer

Post by Henry Spencer »

Shenmue II was ported to the Xbox, and didn't exactly reap in the rewards, though. This was just before the fast paced games made by developers on speed took control of the gaming marketplace. I do get what you're saying though, games used to actually be praised for having a storyline and cutscenes (just go ahead and read reviews of the likes of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and Metal Gear Solid), nowadays we're lucky if there is any actual story incorporated into it. I've noticed a new movement in the gaming scene, which may replace these games: games that have the player make his/her own story. I know this trend has been going on for ages in the PC gaming scene, but I've noticed it being carried across onto consoles now, as well. Mass Effect, Fallout 3 etc. The non-linear games are taking in the gold and are very well received.

Reviewers often comment on how open and free games are now to explore, they want these non-linear experiences and tend to look down upon the Japanese games since a lot of them have these very strict paths you must traverse. The Japanese love adding in their stories (no matter how good or bad they may seem) and arguably forcing it upon the player. Western reviewers call the Japanese gameplay style "dated" and whatnot, although I definitely prefer that play style myself. Anyway, I've gotten so off-topic now, sorry. Don't ban me. :theyreontome:
JoePesci

Post by JoePesci »

Oh god, that reminds me. Does everyone remember those awesome Shenmue commercials that played on television all the time. Those were great. Not the one with the guy in the insane asylum. I can't seem to find a video of the one I am thinking of. But it had Ryo driving the motorcycle and playing pool.