The Walking Dead game

The wonderful world of video games awaits you. Console or PC. Old school or new school. Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo. It doesn't matter. We don't discriminate.
darkly

Re: The Walking Dead game

Post by darkly »

I finally have some time to play so I just started on episode 4. Did you finish yet, Matt?
I like the beginning, nice opportunity to catch your breath. But the whole place is making me nervous though.
Episode 4 so far looks absolutely great. The story is just brilliant in this game.
Spoiler: (Highlight to read)
The scene when you are burying the kid (if you chose to do it yourself) and that relaxing music is on and you just kind of stand there, shovel some dirt, watch the kid and BOM! scary guy watching you! Made me shout in surprise. The whole place was giving off some vibes that something was gonna happen but still, when he showed up I was pretty deep in thought because of the dead kid making you think about Duck and whatnot.
Matt

Post by Matt »

darkly wrote:I finally have some time to play so I just started on episode 4. Did you finish yet, Matt?
I like the beginning, nice opportunity to catch your breath. But the whole place is making me nervous though.
Episode 4 so far looks absolutely great. The story is just brilliant in this game.
The scene when you are burying the kid (if you chose to do it yourself) and that relaxing music is on and you just kind of stand there, shovel some dirt, watch the kid and BOM! scary guy watching you! Made me shout in surprise. The whole place was giving off some vibes that something was gonna happen but still, when he showed up I was pretty deep in thought because of the dead kid making you think about Duck and whatnot.
I have finished it ya.
Had a very interesting ending. Has geared up to be a great last espisode thats for sure. Have you completed it yet?
darkly

Post by darkly »

Not yet, probably will this weekend. Interesting ending you say? Hehe can't wait to find out just how interesting it may be!
darkly

Post by darkly »

Very interesting ending indeed! Last episode is going to be pretty intense I think.

Hey, did you know? I think there is going to be a second season! :)
Yukupo
Administrator

Post by Yukupo »

I might be able to start spending money again so this might be in my shopping cart soon. Also I'm caught up with the tv show and it's awesome.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Yukupo wrote:I might be able to start spending money again so this might be in my shopping cart soon. Also I'm caught up with the tv show and it's awesome.
Then you MUST buy it! Its awesome.
darkly

Post by darkly »

I wonder, did you buy it?

I still have the last episode left, hoping to get to enjoy it this wekeend.
Yukupo
Administrator

Post by Yukupo »

Yeah I bought it but I haven't started it yet. Haha. Looks really cool though.
darkly

Post by darkly »

^You should start it up, just take a look.
..and then you won't stop playing :D

This game has got one of the best story telling you'll ever see, atleast so far. There might be tears, but mostly it'll be an awesome ride you won't soon forget. There is much to talk about in this game.
It made me cry a little in the end. But I wonder, I told Clem to meet Crista and Omid by the train but still you see her alone later. Did you see it too? Also I didn't make her shoot me, I did what was best for her and told her not to so it wouldn't be too hard on her. What did you do? The stats showed that not a lot of people made that choice.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Anybody play season 2?

I played the first episode, cant say I got into it. Havent played any of the other episodes. I will do at some point, i know that, but. It seemed underwhelming to me.
darkly

Post by darkly »

I have played episode 1- 4. I don't like this season much at all and I probably wouldn't have played any of the other episodes if I hadn't bought the season pass. Or maybe I would have, I was too curious.

The big question for season 2 is: how far can they go and how dark can it get? The answer is: too far for my taste. And in the end season 2 was just to dark and depressing for me. Dark and depressing can be fine, it's just drama. However it got to a point where I stopped caring about what happened. It made playing the game boring as I was no longer emotionally invested.

I've spent almost 30 hours on season 1 and only about 7 on season 2. Mostly because I don't want to replay any of the episodes and I just sort of want to get it over with. I think I'm done with all things Walking Dead, the tv series as well as the game. And the reason why I don't like season 2 of the game is pretty much the same reason why I don't like the tv series at all any more. It's all gotten too dark and depressing, apparently most survivors in both the game and the show are evil people and everything is just generally miserable. There is little hope left in both the game and the show and it just makes you care less about what is going on and it just leaves you with a feeling of pointlessness, why should I continue playing/watching this? I don't know.

Most of the things from season 1 that I enjoyed is largely gone in season 2. Although I can appreciate that Telltale games are breaking new ground here. While in season 1 you got to see both the good and bad in people which made some decisions not so easy to take, season 2 is overwhelmingly bad. And I found it hard to care about most of the characters. Also I felt that there were too many film sequences and that my choices mattered less.

Why should you play season 2 walking dead?
- If you still like the tv series you might enjoy season 2.
-If you would enjoy a ground breaking game that handles drama like no other, you might enjoy.
- Or maybe you just want to see what the fuss is all about, season 2 has gotten some excellent reviews after all. You can read some of the reviews too see if this game is still for you.

-And lastly, this is just my opinion. Walking dead universe just makes me really world weary as of late. However, I can recommend Telltales other game: The Wolf among us. I enjoyed season 1 very much and will be keeping an eye out for season 2.
darkly

Post by darkly »

I have finished episode 5 now. Total time played was about 9 hours. So a little shorter than first season.

The ending (that I got, there are several) was satisfying. I liked it, it made playing the entire season worthwhile. I would be happy leaving the series here with this end. Season 3 is confirmed and up to episode 5 I was not interested in another season at all. Now I feel I might have to read the reviews when it comes out after all. I might have to see what happens next.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Interesting.

I just bought the season 1 and 2 bundle on the Xbox one. I have started playing through season 1 again but as I said prior I only ever played ep 1 of the 2 season.
I thought season 1 was bad enough with the depressing stakes. So i will play through season 2, but I know for a fact I wont like it as much. I get that feeling right now.
But seeing as how the ending of season 2 was decent thats something at least.

Anybody played any of the other Telltale games? I bought ep 1 of both Game of Thrones and Tales from the Borderlands. Wasnt that impressed with the GOT episode, it seemed way short and the action sequences were really really bad. Also the art style looked pretty terrible imo.
But Tales from the Borderlands was alot of fun. It was funny, and a very good length.
darkly

Post by darkly »

If you never get through it or just can't be bothered I suggest watching the endings on youtube instead. This season was pretty painful to play through at times and overall it wasn't a particularly enjoyable game to spend my time on. If I hadn't bought the season pass I would have never bothered to finish it.