Dear Esther

The wonderful world of video games awaits you. Console or PC. Old school or new school. Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo. It doesn't matter. We don't discriminate.
darkly

Dear Esther

Post by darkly »

Love this game. Surprisingly good replay value. Amazing atmosphere, awesome story and great music.
The way the story changes every time you play is just genius. The story is basically the same but at the same time it's not. Sometimes it'll just give you more clues, sometimes it'll change your interpretation of the story completely.
And it looks so good, first time I played I was busy just looking at things. But I suppose that's more atmosphere than actual graphic awesomeness.
I have several theories but I'll keep those to myself for now, wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone.

An awesome game that would make the most ungeeky person give up and start playing games.
Dear Esther is probably the most beautiful game I've ever played.
Last edited by darkly on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sterling
Administrator

Re: Dear Esther

Post by Sterling »

Challenge Accepted! I will show this game to a friend of mine who essentially thinks games are for cretins. I'm not sure she could reliably be described as ungeeky though, I mean she's into Classics, ancient greek and latin and stuff like that.
What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one.
darkly

Post by darkly »

Hehe, go for it! She won't think games are for cretins anymore :D

Have you played it? You should give it a go. It's a short game and you'll be able to finish it in one evening but you'll keep thinking about it for weeks.
Me and a friend each had a few replays and then discussed and compared storys, it was interesting to see how different we interpreted things each time.
The interactivty is somewhat limited, some people will not like that but despite the unability to bunny hop around and flush toilets and whatnot the story will draw you right in.
Agent Of Fortune

Post by Agent Of Fortune »

Wow, sounds really cool. I'll have to pick up a copy on steam and play it. I'd never heard of it before.
Yukupo
Administrator

Post by Yukupo »

I need to pick this one up!
darkly

Post by darkly »

You can read more about it here: http://dear-esther.com/?page_id=2
Go forth and experience!

It was originally a mod for Half Life 2 and came out 2008 but was later picked up and given an overhaul and released again this year. It's an indie game which is probably why you haven't heard so much about it.
I'd love to hear your theories on the story later.

Picture from Dear Esther
Vyse Hazuky

Post by Vyse Hazuky »

If you liked that, I think you should try: The Path (there's an epilogue demo) and Dinner Date.
darkly

Post by darkly »

I've been meaning to check out The Path, never heard of Dinner Date though. Thanks for the tip!
Vyse Hazuky

Post by Vyse Hazuky »

^Any time.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Hmmm from the topic title I thought this was some weird agony aunt posted in the wrong section!

The game is on steam?
darkly

Post by darkly »

Yes it is but you should read about it before purchase as it is a bit different than most games out there. Dear Esther is a pure story game, not so much interactivity but if that sounds good to you go for it. It's a great game.