Yu Suzuki - "I think Sega will let me make Shenmue 3"

Discuss the Shenmue saga!
Peter

Yu Suzuki - "I think Sega will let me make Shenmue 3"

Post by Peter »

Just in case anyone missed the news today from the Gaming Develpers Conference, here is what Mr Suzuki had to say in regards to the future of Shenmue:
Gamespot wrote:Cerny then got to the inevitable question about Shenmue 3. Suzuki said "Of course I want to make it," but that doesn't mean he is able to make it. He joked that only 200 people might buy the game, and a large sponsor would be nice.

"Sega I think is going to let me make it," Suzuki said, adding, "I think it is just up to the budget."
Here is the full article. Its a good read! :D

http://uk.gamespot.com/events/gdc2011/s ... id=6301637
Sterling
Administrator

Re: Yu Suzuki - "I think Sega will let me make Shenmue 3"

Post by Sterling »

Thanks Peter, saw this earlier on kotaku, I would note that it doesn't feel so much like news to me as a bone being thrown to starving fans, but then again I'm horribly cynical. It's nice to know that people are still thinking about it though, that's something, right?
What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Absolutely! Im over the moon, i honestly believe that the future is bright. i really hope the Shenmue franchise has currently began what will turn out to be a full relaunch into the gaming world. Im not going to hope for a Shenmue 3 announcement just yet, but definitely a Shenmue re-release via DLC or hard copy. I dont think a hard copy would be just Shenmue though, i believe it would be officially a Dreamcast Selection 2 : Shenmue Edition or something. But whatever it may be, someone better be on the case.
Brotherman

Post by Brotherman »

HOW SHENMUE WAS MEANT TO END with YU SUZUKI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0KojxIvmQ

On a more serious note, things are actually starting to look up for Shenmue III. Usually Yu normally sticks his head in the sand when being ask about it, and now he's talking openly and even joking about it. There's still a chance in hell..... :)
darkly

Post by darkly »

Interesting :) thanks for the info Peter. I would've missed it if you hadn't posted it here.
Agent Of Fortune

Post by Agent Of Fortune »

Yeah things are looking up for the first time since the Shenmue Online days. I'm hoping against hope that the "exclusive by X-Box magazine" that's supposed to be posted in April will be a re-release of Shenmue and Shenmue II, but I still doubt it. :lol:
Peter

Post by Peter »

Yuzuki also gives a serious hint/confirmation that the social network gaming is just the first step, with Shenmue 3 being step 3. :D
Mark Cerny: "So how do you combine the Suzuki-Yu style with server network games? Are they 3D?"
Yu Suzuki: "Hmmm well, now its a small company, the budget is small. Well its just a step.
Mark Cerny: "Oh so its first step?"
Yu Suzuki: "Yes"
Mark Cerny: "is Suzuki-Yu style Farmville?"
Yu Suzuki:"laughs..then we become successful and move onto the second step.
* Yu then laughs and points at the "Shenmue 3" sheet which Mark had just addressed and says "maybe third step....'three'"
Agent Of Fortune

Only time will tell, but Duke Nukem Forever finally coming out gives me hope for a conclusion of Shenmue and The Longest Journey/Dreamfall series. Those are my two main dreams for gaming.
Brotherman

Post by Brotherman »

^ Guess what, they delayed DNF again. :no:

http://techland.time.com/2011/03/24/duk ... you-laugh/
Agent Of Fortune

Yeah I read about that. Honestly when I heard about it I was really thinking there was no way in hell it'd get released. Seems all the more likely these days.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Its such a Shenmue cliche, but im looking forward to E3, and to a possible Shenmue City release for Facebook or android. Sega have begun rolling out that online social sports game, so it will be interesting to see if its time yet. :sayprayers:
Agent Of Fortune

Yeah definitely. I gave up on being excited for E3 a long time ago, but this year seems to be a bit more promising than the last few.
Brotherman

Post by Brotherman »

All of the years in the Shenmue community being disappointed at every E3 announcement. :oops:
Agent Of Fortune

Indeed. Appearantly there was a mention of Yu Suzuki's comments on Shenmue III in a major gaming magazine recently. Always good to see it getting mainstream attention.
darkly

Post by darkly »

It's funny, a major game magazine here frequently mentions Shenmue. Sometimes in comparsions to other games but always in a way to enlight people to the greatness that is Shenmue. A friend of mine never had a dreamcast and missed Shenmue completely and although he can understand why I was so excited about it he doesn't really understand the impact it has had in general so I never miss an opportunity to show him those parts in the magazine that mentions Shenmue :P just to let him now that's it's not just me.