Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney series

The wonderful world of video games awaits you. Console or PC. Old school or new school. Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo. It doesn't matter. We don't discriminate.
Ryudo

Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney series

Post by Ryudo »

http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2009/04/03/ ... ition-dsi/

To get this topic back since a few here are big fans.
Dang if DSi was not reagion coded I would import that sucker,be the only reason I would even want a DSi
Sterling
Administrator

Re: Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney series

Post by Sterling »

Why is it region coded? That's stupid.
What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one.
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

Nintendo are assholes. :x

So I am sticking to my DS lite.
Old Man OL

Post by Old Man OL »

Fuck, I didn't know the DSi was region encoded. That fucking sucks.
Yeah, I'll stick with my lite. Gonna import some Japanese games soon anyway.
Ryudo wrote:The world will end when OL is no longer entertained by us.
Just because.
Sterling
Administrator

Post by Sterling »

Whats the difference between a DS lite and a DSi anyway?
What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one.
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

Pros:
Slightly bigger screen,and thinner than DS lite and has built in 256MB of memory has a SDHC SD card slot as well as a DS slot.
New firmware similar to Wii so you can listen to music or watch movies look at pics whatever and has a DSi app store and a DSi VC channel to download games like wii's VC.
Lastly has 2 camera one on the inside and one on the outside and you can manipulate the pics and movies you take with them like special effects and silly junk.

Cons:
Region Locked. (what killed the deal for me as DS lite is region free,that and no GBA slot)
So 1st party games will use special DSi carts but they say some will still work on DS lite,how they will I don't know and how 3rd parties handle it not sure either.
Also slightly worse batt life.
Also 170$.
Ash

Post by Ash »

For those who have played it; what were your opinions on Apollo Justice? Better, worse, or comparable to Phoenix's arc?
tao

Post by tao »

It's been a while since I last played it but it was not really better or worse. A lot different from Phoenix Wright though. The characters seem to get weirder and weirder with each subsequent game. I lol'd when Orly did a double take and managed to catch her borscht that somehow shot up ten feet in the air :lol:

I really liked the new features made with the DS in mind, like the 3d renderings of situations and evidence models. The cameos were awesome too. It was great to see Ema again but I miss Gumshoe. The main prosecutor Klavier annoyed me though. Past prosecutors had very distinct personalities and quirks but I found Klavier kind of...bland?
Yukupo
Administrator

Post by Yukupo »

Indeed. Klavier seemed very uninterested in fighting you or anything else. Then he helps you on more than one occasion. But I don't think Apollo Justice fell in quality compared to the others or anything. The thing that bothered me most was it being a lot easier. It's still awesome though.
Ash

Post by Ash »

Spoiler: (Highlight to read)
Klavier's lack of development was one of the weakest points in my opinion. Apollo didn't get much development either, outside of dramatic irony, but if Capcom decided to carry on with Apollo as the main character, they'll have more than enough time to develop him. With Klavier though, unless they decide to make him the main prosecutor again, I can't really see him in a role where he'd get enough time to get any real development.
Riku

Post by Riku »

Ryudo wrote:
Region Locked. (what killed the deal for me as DS lite is region free
That's only for the download games. All boxed games are still region free.

Love the series. Haven't heard anything about a true sequal rather then this Edgeworth spin off. Still have high hopes but not as much as I did for the other games.
Ash

Post by Ash »

Oh, I forgot to mention, a flash (playable) demo of Gyakuten Kenji has been released. http://www.capcom.co.jp/gyakutenkenji/trial/index.html . It's in Japanese, but you can at least see how the game plays. Please be aware though, that the intro to the demo does reveal the first killer. There is a translation of the demo here: http://www.court-records.net/kenjidemotrans.htm . The translation also reveals the first killer.
Riku wrote:Love the series. Haven't heard anything about a true sequal rather then this Edgeworth spin off. Still have high hopes but not as much as I did for the other games.
They did announce Gyakuten Saiban 5, back in 2007, but nothing's been said about it since. No idea if Capcom meant Kenji when they announced that, or if Capcom have just put 5 aside until the release of Kenji. Honestly, I can't help but get the feeling that the Miles Edgeworth game is bascially fan service to appease the fans who were unhappy about the lack of Phoenix Wright characters in Apollo Justice.
Old Man OL

Post by Old Man OL »

^^Awesome. I would so fucking buy that.
Ryudo wrote:The world will end when OL is no longer entertained by us.
Just because.
Riku

Post by Riku »

Love it.