Sega: Interested in Shenmue, scared of poor sales

Discuss the Shenmue saga!
TheRonin

Post by TheRonin »

Famitsu 360 just put out it's annual Japanese developer interview issue. For the developer issue, Famitsu polls developers to see what their upcoming plans for the Xbox 360 are, which by extension, usually ends up pertaining to PS3 owners as well.

In this year's issue, Sega talked a bit about the oft-requested Shenmue follow up. It's a title they still think a lot about doing, however, sales are a factor. Neither of the previous games sold well, so Sega is hesitant about returning to the franchise. They reassure fans, though, that if there is an opportunity to revisit the franchise, they would love to do it.

Sounds like Sega is hoping that one of the platform holders fund it, perhaps in return for an exclusivity deal.
http://www.ps3center.net/news/4293/sega ... enmue-iii/
"Carl picked the wrong day to fight the power."
Jeff

Re: Sega: Interested in Shenmue, scared of poor sales

Post by Jeff »

I was just about to post this story myself. Just as I expected, they are worried about the bottom dollar. The seem genuine that they really do want the series to move forward, but they need to know the actual interest other than screaming fanboys. They would have to port I and II included in the box to appeal to new fans this far since the last installment. The are afraid of risk and who can blame them in this uncertain economic environment. However, business has always been about risk and if you don't take a risk from time to time you're going to go nowhere where SEGA pretty much has been the past decade. If they actually marketed the series properly this time and put it on a system that is still popular the time of release I think it could fit a niche in for all of the RPG deprived gamers out there such as myself.

Banned for life from Shenmue Dojo for being too awesome for the server to handle
TheRonin

Post by TheRonin »

Things are getting interesting.
"As it happens every year, the Xbox 360 dedicated edition of the Japanese magazine Famitsu interviewed some Japanese developers to know more about their future plans for the 360. These developers always end up saying something about other consoles as well.

In this year's edition, SEGA has stood themselves out by talking about the much requested sequel to Shenmue 2. SEGA still thinks a lot in making the game, however there exists the selling and profitability factors.

None of the previous games sold really well for the investment made, and SEGA is in doubt as to if it will resurrect the series. However SEGA assured the fans that if there is some opportunity to revisit the series, they'll love to do it.

SEGA also mentioned the chance of one of the three hardware makers financing the game's production in exchange for an exclusivity deal. Let's see if Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony are interested."

This is interesting as we usually don't see Sega say something other then their usual company line about the Shenmue series.
I vote Microsoft.
"Carl picked the wrong day to fight the power."
Brotherman

Post by Brotherman »

I don't care who it is. Just make the damn game. :mrgreen:
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

Keep it away from any Microsoft system.
I want it on a system I can rely on to work for several years. I have not been able to play Shenmue II since my original Xbox is dead for over a year,not been able to get around replacing it and buying it on ebay for DC not been able to get to yet.

Put it on a Sony and/or Nintendo system at least that way it has a better chance to last a few years more to get enjoyment.

Screw MS and their 54% fail rates of RRODs and E 74 BS.
Agent Of Fortune

Post by Agent Of Fortune »

This is pretty interesting. I wonder if there was any reasoning behind releasing this bit of information now, after they announced Ryo would be in that racing game, to sort of test the waters and see if anybody is still interested...

I really don't care what system it would be on. If it came on one I don't have, I'd buy the system just for it alone. :-D I can't really say that about any other game.