What're you reading/what was the last thing you read?

Discuss a wide variety of things that entertain you! Movies, television, music, sports, anime: it's all welcome here!
Agent Of Fortune

What're you reading/what was the last thing you read?

Post by Agent Of Fortune »

I bought a dvd set from a comics store a few years ago with the first 40 years of the X-men on it, so I'm reading that.
http://www.amazon.com/40-Years-of-the-X ... 269&sr=8-1

It's really interesting to see how different it was in the beginning. The dialog is so corny compared to how it is now. Also, its really funny to see how weak Jean was in the beginning. Now she's insanely badass, but in the beginning she was always the damsel in distress, getting saved by the big boys on the team.
Sterling
Administrator

Re: What're you reading/what was the last thing you read?

Post by Sterling »

I can't remember what the last book I read was, but I feel fairly confident the next one I read will either be "Bare-Faced Messiah" by Russell Miller (apparently the book that Scientologists tried to ban), "The Fresco" by Sherri. S. Tepper (apparently very well written and entertaining but blitheringly stupid) or "Hart's Hope" by Orson Scott Card (to confirm my assumption that Orson Scott Card is a complete one-hit wonder). My friend lent me all these books some time last month, but I never seem to read anymore, need to get back to it.
What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one.
AnimeGamer183

Post by AnimeGamer183 »

I am reading The Godfather by Mario Puzo, Ace book and highly recomended if you love the movies.
tao

Post by tao »

I used to read one book at a time until I finish it. But now I've found myself starting on several at once :lol:

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. I've gained a new, healthy sense of respect and fear towards those working in the restaurant industry. A few things I've learned from Bourdain: don't order fish on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays are the best days to eat out, and avoid Sunday brunch unless you just love the idea of paying for recycled leftovers.

The Ghost Brigades
by John Scalzi. Sequel to Old Man's War

Myths to Live By
by Joseph Cambell. I watched the documentary and decided to get this book. I also got my hands on A Hero of a Thousand Faces that I plan to read later.
frozenbacon

Post by frozenbacon »

Currently reading the andromeda strain.
Brotherman

Post by Brotherman »

Haven't had time to stay in it, but it's pretty good thus far.
Agent Of Fortune

Post by Agent Of Fortune »

^That's actually volume 28, and I'm just now reading volume 15. Point is, reading Kenshin comics again, for like the 10th time. :-D
darkly

Post by darkly »

Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

Good stuff.
tao

Post by tao »

Recently finished both books in Robin Hobb's Rain Wild Chronicles. So addicting, I read nearly nonstop for days.

Currently reading:
George RR Martin's Storm of Swords. It's been a while since I last finished Clash of Kings so it's been kind of tricky for me to remember the details of what had happened since.

CG Jung: The Portable Jung. I just got this in the mail today and wow-- it's a veritable BIBLE :shock:

Carl Sagan & Ann Druyan: Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors. Nearly finished with this one. Very insightful read (as is anything when it comes to Sagan.)

TH White's Candle in the Wind. I only have this and Sword in the Stone to finish off The Once and Future King.

Yeah I'm trying to squeeze in all I can before fall semester begins and I'll be stuck reading required texts. :help:
darkly

Post by darkly »

Stephen King- Under the Dome. I remember now why I used to like King's books. Plus it's huge and should the zombie apocalypse suddenly come I'll have a good weapon. One could probably rob a bank with it to.
Sterling
Administrator

Post by Sterling »

tao wrote:Recently finished both books in Robin Hobb's Rain Wild Chronicles. So addicting, I read nearly nonstop for days.

Currently reading:
George RR Martin's Storm of Swords. It's been a while since I last finished Clash of Kings so it's been kind of tricky for me to remember the details of what had happened since.
My friend keeps claiming he'll lend me Robin Hobb books but always forgets. I take it she's good?

I just got done reading A Dance With Dragons (Book 5) a month or so ago, I'm waiting for people to catch up! Where in ASOS are you up to? We ought to gang up on Chris and tease him for not having finished Clash of Kings yet.
What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one.
Yukupo
Administrator

Post by Yukupo »

H-hey, it'll get read! :wha:

:theyreontome:
tao

Post by tao »

Sterling wrote:My friend keeps claiming he'll lend me Robin Hobb books but always forgets. I take it she's good?

I just got done reading A Dance With Dragons (Book 5) a month or so ago, I'm waiting for people to catch up! Where in ASOS are you up to? We ought to gang up on Chris and tease him for not having finished Clash of Kings yet.

She's very good. Do yourself a favor and get your hands on a copy of Assasin's Apprentice. She's written a number of series in the same universe with different styles. If you do become interested, the series in chronological order are: Farseer > Liveship > Tawny Man > Rain Wilds. The Farseer series are in first person while the Liveship and Rain Wilds are in third person with several pov's. I've found the latest Rain Wilds book that came out last year to be somewhat ponderous. I'm still looking forward to the next book though.

I've already read up to Dance with Dragons last year when it came out. Now I'm just waiting for the next one. Hopefully before my grey hairs begin to sprout. :help:
Vyse Hazuky

Post by Vyse Hazuky »

Right now I've been reading a biography of Yoshihisa Kishimoto, the man who made the likes of Road Blaster, Renegade, Double Dragon or, of course, Chô Aniki. I've also been re-reading the bible, now an annotated version. I'm at Judges.