fave 2nd/3rd party pub/dev

The wonderful world of video games awaits you. Console or PC. Old school or new school. Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo. It doesn't matter. We don't discriminate.
Ryudo

fave 2nd/3rd party pub/dev

Post by Ryudo »

Talk about your favourite developers and publishers and why.
For me in no real order.

Xseed

They keep publishing and bringing to the west so many Japanese games from the very niche to more popular. Brought many NIS games and game like Fragile to the west and many RPGs and other genres from Japan.
They are not threatened by the current dominant western publisher/developers.

Every week more news of more games they are bringing out here and I love it.

Platinum Games
When you have ex clover studios,ex DMC team and the very creator of resident evil under one roof.
They have released 2 games and both with high praise and working on the 3rd now.
They have a very bright future.

MMV
Like Xseed they just keep piling up awesome games over to the west.
Just a few examples is No More heroes,Muramasa,Flower,Sun and Rain,Harvest Moon and many more.

Cing.

You may not know the name but many know the games.
These guys are some of the best there is but know one knows their name.
They have made Little Kings Story,Another Code/Trace Memory,The Glass Rose,Hotel Dusk:Room 215

Capcom

Do I need to say anything more here?

Grasshopper
Suda 51,nuff said.

Game Arts

They are not as great as they used to be but they still bring out some good titles.
I mainly like them for the first two Grandia games.

Vyse Hazuky

Re: fave 3rd party pub/dev

Post by Vyse Hazuky »

Not again! I'll try and post different ones now.

Let's try some 1st party greats:

Nintendo R&D 1 - While Miyamoto was setting the world alight with the likes of Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda, these guys, under the super legend Gunpei Yokoi were creating a slew of other NES games, including Ice Climber, Kid Icarus and, definitely more important than the rest, Metroid, as well as all of the then groundbreaking Game&Watch games (until Yokoi-san came up with the GameBoy that is). Metroid was indeed a defining game of that generation and with influential impact comparable only to Miyamoto's works. Super Metroid, released 8 years later, was an incredible jump forward and showed an attention to detail that made the environment much more enthralling (much like Shenmue, I guess). And then, in 2003, they do it again, with Warioware, for me, one of the most important games of the decade, with a disarming simplicity yet undeniable charm, paying hommage to gaming's history while at the same time moving it forward. Unlike Metroid tho, it has suffered from an excess of sequels/remakes as it seems to spearhead every new piece of Nintendo hardware these days.

thatgamecompany - Stemming from a new breed of gamedesign AND game designers, this lot of 7 USC graduates have made three excellent games, and I'm sure there is much more to come. Cloud, flOw and flOwer all represent a new age of game design where the concepts are stripped down and the experience is more seamless and contained, while trying to break new grounds on what the concept of what a videogame should be. Entertaining, yet philosophical, this new generation is bound to make an impact, as indie games are on the rise and platforms such as PSN, Wiiware and XBLA are their perfect home.
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

^ However Vyse Nintendo isn't 3rd party. :P
Vyse Hazuky

Post by Vyse Hazuky »

Nor thatgamecompany, they're 2nd party :\ I just didn't want to copypaste what I already had written on the dojo..
Ryudo

Re: fave 2nd/3rd party pub/dev

Post by Ryudo »

Ok ok so I added 2nd party :P

In that case I will add Retro Studios.
The Metroid Prime series. These guys did have other promising games in the works like Raven Blade but was canned to focus on MP series.

I believe they are some of the best in the industry,esp when it comes to level design,use of Audio and ESP Art design.

I know they have a current project in the works right now non Metroid related but not yet ready to show it off yet. I highly anticipate to see what next they do. :D
Vyse Hazuky

Post by Vyse Hazuky »

PG is kind of a 2nd party on contract right now too hehe... so YOU even broke your own rules! Dangerous, man.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Bethesda. - Oblivion and Fallout 3 are my fave games on the 360.
TheRonin

Post by TheRonin »

I don't know I guess I would say 2k Boston makers of Bioshock, Remedy makers of Max Payne and forever developed Alan Wake, Bethesda, Kojima Productions, Capcom, and Rockstar.
"Carl picked the wrong day to fight the power."
Bambi

Post by Bambi »

Sega.