Rate the last game you beat.

The wonderful world of video games awaits you. Console or PC. Old school or new school. Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo. It doesn't matter. We don't discriminate.
Chaos

Re: Rate the last game you beat.

Post by Chaos »

Well, it's only a fighting game, but I've beaten my characters story mode and arcade mode, so I guess I kinda "beat" it.

Blazblue - 9/10

The first time I've really loved a fighting game in so long. I bought it earlier today but I'm already gonna call it one of the best fighting games I've ever played. The game looks beautiful, it has great music, and all the characters have a completely different play style. If you can find a copy of the limited edition, pick it up if you like fighting games. I got the last copy within 35 miles of me, so chances are you won't find one anywhere except online. It's the same price as the regular edition, which isn't even out yet.
Vyse Hazuky

Post by Vyse Hazuky »

I hope it's at least better than SFIV. What a disappointment :(
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

Vyse Hazuky wrote:I hope it's at least better than SFIV. What a disappointment :(
I hope when capcom versus tatsunoko releases late this year in the US it lives up to the hype.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

Vyse Hazuky wrote:I hope it's at least better than SFIV. What a disappointment :(
I haven't played SFIV. To be honest, the last fighting game I played before this (besides smash bros) was soul caliber on the gamecube, and sf2 on xbla. (That I can remember anyways.)

I really reeeeally don't play fighting games that often, but this one is great.
Vyse Hazuky

Post by Vyse Hazuky »

Chaos wrote:
I haven't played SFIV. To be honest, the last fighting game I played before this (besides smash bros) was soul caliber on the gamecube, and sf2 on xbla. (That I can remember anyways.)

I really reeeeally don't play fighting games that often, but this one is great.
Yeah, I read good things about it, but it's not out in Europe (don't even know if it's been announced) so... haven't tried it.

Guilty Gear (same creators) was always a series easy to get into and play with impressive animations and decent story. It's satisfying that they took a gamble on a new series and that it came out (at least) in the US.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

Yeah it's pretty easy to get into.

Then you try and play online. The people who play these games online are fucking insane. I can't touch them, which is one reason I rarely play fighting games. I never get into them long enough to get good, and I always get my ass handed to me. The only fighting game I ever played long enough to get pretty goddamn good at was smash bros. melee.
Vyse Hazuky

Post by Vyse Hazuky »

Hehe yeah.. I was also severely disappointed with my performance when I played Virtua Fighter 5 online (even though it pits you against similarly ranked opponents). I still say the best competition you can get is side by side with another human, in an arcade or console, where you can distract him and kick his shins. Interactive fighting!
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

haha yeah. too bad all my gamer friends now live an hour or two from me :( Thank god for the interweb.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

Rolando (iPhone) - 7/10

Pretty good game. Makes good use of all the iPhone's abilities instead of just trying to emulate a controller for controls. Look forward to more games like this. Was a little too easy for me to wanna spend $10 on the sequel though.
Vyse Hazuky

Post by Vyse Hazuky »

Way of the Samurai - I had wanted to try this game for a long time, long before I even had a PS2. And, after that it still took me some time to get it, but I did manage to get one recently, and it was sealed and everything, joy.
On with it: The main draw of the game is to play multiple times, because what you do and don't do, affect how the story unfolds, much more than in, say, Raw Danger or Shadow of Destiny, sometimes just being at a certain place at a certain time has an outcome, but of course, choices based on text options are present as well. The story takes place in just 2 days and revolves around Rokkotsu pass, and more or less 4 factions. On one side there's the Kurou family that are historically the rulers of the pass. Then there's the Akadama clan, who are ruled by the Kurou boss' illegitimate son and want to bring back samuraidom ruling to Japan. Then there's the Meiji government (who historically ended the shogunates, this is XIX century) who intend to take control of the pass. In the middle of it all are the people who Rokkotsu, mainly a restaurant, a foundry, a swordsmith and a railroad track.
To get the full understanding of what's going on, you really have to play through it at least twice. Thankfully, and while I did only beat the story on my third try (because when you die, it's really gameover and you have to start from the beggining, oops), you can play through the game in about 1 hour and 30 minutes, which is perfect, as you can do it all in one sitting.
What I liked the most about it, is how the characters, in small number, and the situation, resembled so much a play, in that they were quite multidimensional, and while some were holier than others, everything was justifiable and it all made sense. Tough but fair, weak but honourable.
What I didn't enjoy as much was that it included some atmosphere breaking elements. The whole of Akadama clan dress up in a typical JRPG fashion (and haircuts) and the inclusion of an english woman and an afro samurai was also more or less weird hehe.
A final note for the music. While there aren't many different tracks (after all, a single playthrough is very short) I found them to be quite interesting choices. It ranges from very pleasing more or less epic tunes to a very Shenmue-like ambience tune, to traditional japanese music, and the battle theme is also an atmosphere breaker, using a more rock-ish tune with guitars (both electric and spanish), but this, as a whole, gave it a certain flair and made it stand out from other games rooted in historical Japan like... Ôkami or Cosmology of Kyoto, for instance.

All in all a nice surprise (it didn't exactly get stellar reviews) and an interesting game to enjoy.
AnimeGamer183

Post by AnimeGamer183 »

Star Ocean: First Departue - PSP

This was a well worth game to play and while alot of the game is mindless hacking with over powered characters, it is very fun to create items and get your characters ultimate weapons etc. The battle system is like a handheld 2D version of Star Ocean 3s battle system, but not quite as on par in terms of quality. The story is pretty crazy and its obvious that star ocean took alot from star trek and mixed it with traditional japanese fantasy RPG style. Good mixture surprisingly, I just wish more of the game actually took place in space or on ships (which is doesnt really get into untill later in the game). I am picking up Star Ocean: Second Evolution as soon as I get the chance, but sadly they are practictly the same game with the same battle system with different characters and story... I guess thats not neccesarily a bad thing though. The only gripes I really had about this game is that it was too easy and battles become a slaying of monsters and bosses only go down slightly less easily than random monsters. It was still fun to see how much damage I could get my main character to deal though, and some of the spells are really fun. I would recomend this game to anyone that is a fan of star ocean, especially considering that 1-3 are a serial story line (although separated by hundreds of years) for those that havent played Star Ocean before, you can easily get into it considering this is the first gaem in the series, and also because you need be properly prepared for the godlyness that is Star Ocean 3. I think I spent 40 or 50 hours playing it (although it can easily be beaten in 30), but again getting all my characters leveled and creating items takes time (and many file loads). The ability system is pretty complex, and you have to learn different abilities to master other skills that build your points for item creation or black smithing and things of that nature, also each characters has there own special abilities and skills. I give Star Ocean: First Departure a 8/10. Also, watch out for the abyssmal battle chants that are constantly going off in every direction during battles, kinda reminded me of the Rogue Galaxy batle chants but 10 times worse and on crack. But thats about the worst of it for Star Ocean: First Departure
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

Super Mario Galaxy - 9/10

Good stuffs.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

Mario Kart Wii - 4/10

Okay, well, I haven't beaten the game yet, but I don't think I will. I plan to unlock dry bones and all the courses and just play online. So as of this post, I'm only rating the single player experience, which is fucking HORRIBLE!

OH YOU'RE WINNING ARE YOU? HAVE A BLUE SHELL! NOW HAVE SOME LIGHTNING! HAVE A RED SHELL TOO!

ALL 5 FEET BEFORE THE FINISH LINE!

OH YOU FINISHED LAST YOU SUCK HAHA'

/ragepost
Riku

Post by Riku »

^Do you get Mario Kart?

I think it should only be played with 2+ people. Same as Smash Bros.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

Riku wrote:^Do you get Mario Kart?

I think it should only be played with 2+ people. Same as Smash Bros.
Do I "get" it? As in, I shouldn't be bitching about shitty single player? To be honest, multiplayer is no better. The game gives people in last place every item in the game to fuck over people in the lead. Don't tell me that mario kart is all about the items or something either. Yes, the fun in Mario Kart has always partly been about the items. It's not fun when you're getting hit with an item every 5 seconds.

anyways

Halo 3 ODST - 8/10. It would of been a 9/10 if the game wasn't full price. Was only 5 or so hours long if I remember right, and that was on Heroic difficulty. I'll definitely get more time out of multiplayer, but this was the shortest halo game yet. I don't regret buying it though. I knew how short it was going into it, I'm just a Halo whore. The game felt a lot like Halo 1 in a lot of ways. They need to go back to the health system for all their games. Recharging shields isn't a bad system, in fact I think it's better for multiplayer, but for single player the health system is a lot better I think.