"Liberals" refuse to let Miss California row die

An environment for anything from relaxed general discussion topics to intense debates. Just remember to show some respect and keep things on topic.
Sterling
Administrator

"Liberals" refuse to let Miss California row die

Post by Sterling »

During my campaigning for the Juan Party during last year's election, I talked to a lot of people and was struck by the realisation that there are very few people as intolerant and bigoted as these people on the left who call themselves "liberal". I always thought that label revolved around free will and individual strength. However if you dare to have a differing opinion from these people, their collective if you will, they will hound you to the ends of the freakin' earth.

I'm sure you all heard of what happened with Miss California Carrie Prejean so I won't rehash.
David Axelrod, a very senior adviser to President Obama and his lead campaign strategist, was talking on NPR about a range of issues. Among other things,he talked about how important "image" was to Obama (who knew?) and how even the White House dog was a carefully made choice. When Mr. Axelrod was asked how involved he was in the selection of Bo, the family's Portuguese water dog, he jokingly answered that he "only got called in for the final three." The interviewer then asked asked about the two runner-ups. "One was Miss California," Mr. Axelrod cracked to the audience's laughter.
Classy guy.

I thought one of the ideas of this Hope and Change® was to "elevate the discourse beyond the partisan squabbling during the Bush era". Way to go.

Quick note - It's ironic that one of Obama's closest aides would be laying into her like that given that the President shares her views on 'that issue'. For that matter, the majority of Miss California's home state also agrees with her according to the results of the vote on Prop 8.

For anyone still under the impression that MSNBC is a reputable source of news by the way, I'm not going to digging through my archives and find the exact dialogue, but when the reports of "nude pictures" of Carrie Prejean erupted, their anchor was quick to note as he was telling the story that the picture leaked was "too shocking for them to broadcast". This is the picture:

I'm not convinced that's 'going too far' but if they say so... Oh, wait that's right :isuck: They had no problem showing this picture when the Miley Cyrus / Vanity Fair story broke:

For the record, she was 15 years old at the time.
What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one.
Jeff

Re: "Liberals" refuse to let Miss California row die

Post by Jeff »

Well I can go off on this subject in typical Jeff fashion, however I'm a bit older and a bit wiser and I don't get bent out of shape over stuff like this anymore. At this point this nonsense is come to be expected.

I will say this though, politics is like a pendulum on a clock. The harder the pendulum swings to the left the harder it will swing to the right and visa versa. We know where the pendulum is right now. The past couple days I started to notice the beginnings of that swing. The chosen one is losing his novelty and eventually people are going to say 'where's the beef'?

George W. Bush done the smart thing after his presidency and completely disappear. I think conservatives should just basically disappear into the shadows. When things don't work out down the road they can't blame the mean ol' conservatives cause they weren't there.

Banned for life from Shenmue Dojo for being too awesome for the server to handle
Yukupo
Administrator

Post by Yukupo »

It's pretty apparent that no matter what side claims to be what, people are always just people. As a group of people you'll have stronger and more obnoxious voices that influence weaker voices. And you'll also have a vocal minority that say the most ridiculous nonsense and represent the entire group. It's a sad situation as always. :|
tao

Post by tao »

My god I thought the whole Miss California crap died a week ago.
Yukupo wrote:It's pretty apparent that no matter what side claims to be what, people are always just people. As a group of people you'll have stronger and more obnoxious voices that influence weaker voices. And you'll also have a vocal minority that say the most ridiculous nonsense and represent the entire group. It's a sad situation as always. :|
It seems to me like the obnoxious voices are growing louder and more ridiculous every time something stupid like this comes up. And not *just* liberals or *just* conservatives. On any controversial issue there will always be those few who will shove their snobby noses into your face telling you you are wrong. They can't be satisfied by simply asserting their position, they have to impose on you. Aggressively sometimes.

Then there's the media hovering over every petty, trashy aspect they can get their hands on. It's like a big contest to see who can dig up the most garbage and rag on and on about it for as long as the ratings last.
AnimeGamer183

Post by AnimeGamer183 »

mmmm miss california.... mmmmm miley cyrus.

to be honest though, its all just shock value and controversy for the sake of being shocking and controversial. But i'll the whackos that take the bait and actually think this is seriously offensive throw the punches, and ill stay on the side lines and look at the pretty pictures :)
Old Man OL

Post by Old Man OL »

AnimeGamer183 wrote:mmmmm miley cyrus.
Dude, she's like twelve.
And when she talks she looks like someone hit her in the mouth with a shovel.
Ryudo wrote:The world will end when OL is no longer entertained by us.
Just because.
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

Old Man OL wrote:
AnimeGamer183 wrote:mmmmm miley cyrus.
Dude, she's like twelve.
And when she talks she looks like someone hit her in the mouth with a shovel.
LOL AG finally suckered someone new in AG's zany sense of humour.
Maybe AG should re post his TEH sexy bedspread pics.
:twisted: