What thoughts are going through your head right now?

An environment for anything from relaxed general discussion topics to intense debates. Just remember to show some respect and keep things on topic.
tao

Re: What thoughts are going through your head right now?

Post by tao »

I'll never finish in time....if only I didn't spend forever on research....WHY DO I PUT MYSELF THROUGH THESE THINGS???? :help:
Brotherman

Post by Brotherman »

Well I was driving home from school today and notice someone put up a confederate flag in a neighborhood I normally pass through. It kinda gave me the post election-day chuckles. :mrgreen:
darkly

Post by darkly »

Just saw a picture of an old lady who had just gotten a face paint (tiger face paint). She looked so happy! Made me smile and now I feel happy too!
Agent Of Fortune

Post by Agent Of Fortune »

Brotherman wrote:Well I was driving home from school today and notice someone put up a confederate flag in a neighborhood I normally pass through. It kinda gave me the post election-day chuckles. :mrgreen:
:lol:

Do you live in the south, Brotherman? Does it seem to you that the confederate flag is put up as a sign of rebellion, like many claim, or does it just seem to count as a sign of racism? To me (I live in Iowa, which was a union state, so if anybody does have one up, it's usually just a sign of racism), it seems like it goes both ways. Some country singer (can't remember who it was) had an earring of a confederate flag and got flack for it, but to me, it seemed like he was just legitimately honoring his heritage, not trying to start anything.
darkly

Post by darkly »

Have to write a test on saturday. It's makeing me a little grumpy now!! *grrr*
darkly

Post by darkly »

Tv dramas. That's what I'm thinking about right now. And Karl Pilkington from an Idiot abroad.

I don't like dramas. I just don't understand the point, why would you want to watch them? There are some good ones of course but I'm mainly talking about the ones they show on tv. We get lots of american tv dramas on tv here and they are all the same. 2 hours of following someone (usually sick, maybe cancer) just doing nothing. Just doing everyday life stuff. Having an argument (while sick), shopping for grocerys (and getting a bit ill in the store, or possibly meeting rude people) and then they just end. Sometimes the person will die. But mainly they are just depressing and boring.

I know this girl who loves these kinds of movies, it's the only thing she ever want to watch. And her life isn't exactly missing daily dramas. Doesn't she ever want to be entertained? Or is she uncabable of feeling sad so she have to watch other people being sad all the time? Maybe she hates laughter and adventure and fun?
I don't need to watch everyday life on tv, I have that in everyday life already. It's boring and depressing. When I watch tv I want to get entertained, relax. I don't want to take a break from my mundane everyday life to watch someone elses boring everyday life.

But what if these movies would come with an audio track with Karl Pilkington commenting on the movie? Following his train of thoughts are not only entertaining but also educational. It's not that his train of thoughts are difficult to follow, they make sense. But my train of thoughts would've never gone those places. If they started having an audio track with Karl I'd have to watch everyone of them.

.. but they'd probably not be dramas anymore.

Not that Swedish dramas are any better. They'll often be about couples arguing about the most stupid things. In fact, comedies often turns out to be dramas which is very annoying. You sit down, expecting to be entertained and then it turns out that it isn't funny at all. It was in fact boring and depressing. They don't even do anything that can be counted as comedy. It's like wtf!! Tricked again!! Damn you Swedish movies!! Damn you to hell!!! :aargh:

Solution = apply Karl Pilkington comments to all Swedish comedies.
Brotherman

Post by Brotherman »

Agent Of Fortune wrote:
Brotherman wrote:Well I was driving home from school today and notice someone put up a confederate flag in a neighborhood I normally pass through. It kinda gave me the post election-day chuckles. :mrgreen:
:lol:

Do you live in the south, Brotherman? Does it seem to you that the confederate flag is put up as a sign of rebellion, like many claim, or does it just seem to count as a sign of racism? To me (I live in Iowa, which was a union state, so if anybody does have one up, it's usually just a sign of racism), it seems like it goes both ways. Some country singer (can't remember who it was) had an earring of a confederate flag and got flack for it, but to me, it seemed like he was just legitimately honoring his heritage, not trying to start anything.
Sorry I didn't notice this post earlier, allow me to retort. I live in South Carolina, which was the first state to succeed from the Union. Most (white) South Carolinians hold this history dear. Unfortunately, most of the history that gets passed down in their little families usually becomes more inaccurate each generation. So by the time they try to engage someone like me (which I'm pretty familiar with the history of this goofy state), I usually just embarrass them with the facts. Every person is different, and most don't usually mean any harm in it. And with that same token, most seem to forget how their great grand/grand parents used their flag during the Civil Right movement during the '60s.
But since Barrack Obama been president, I definitely have been seeing more whites having racial turrets. And the first thing they seem to run to is the Confederate Flag. To me, when I see a dusty southerner with a confederate flag, I just see the shell of ignorance past unwilling to move on with the times.
darkly

Post by darkly »

Sometimes when I wake up I'll have this annoying song on my mind (why does it always have to be annyoing songs?), playing over and over and it's just impossible to stop thinking about it! Today I woke up thinking about chinese which was nice (I'm currently learning chinese). I think brain gets bored easily and thus enjoys beeing annoying and repeat songs in my head so I'm glad brain decided to be useful and work on chinese for a change.
Good job, Brain!!

你是哪年生的 ?
tao

Post by tao »

It's funny how Obama isn't even really 100% African-American-- he's mixed. He's supposed to check the "Other" box in racial demographics forms.

This country has such a binary way of categorizing things. You're either: black or white, Christian or not, man or woman, gay or straight. For such a multi-cultural nation the mainstream is still so very out-dated.
Brotherman

Post by Brotherman »

Too be honest, any person who's family been in America more that two generations is not 100% of any ethnicity. Trust me, I checked both sides of my family tree. And you only go by being 100%, then I'm a mutt. But I feel where you're coming from.

Anyways, I'm just glad this semester has ended. :sayprayers:
tao

Post by tao »

http://io9.com/5713565/incredible-claus ... alled-city

I was watching this a few days ago and it felt like deja vu. Well Shenmue had one anachronism-- there are no elevators in the real life walled city but I'm very glad they put them in.

The lawlessness and mafia-rule of the place makes me think of Omega in Mass Effect as well. I suspect it was one of their inspirations. The darkness and moisture remind me of Bladerunner, too.

I wonder what happened to the displaced citizens of the city? I hope some of them decide to tell their stories one day.
darkly

Post by darkly »

I just unclogged the kitchen sink!!! It's been near-complete-stop for a couple of days and of course I've had a ton of studying
to do so, wasn't stressful at all.. or annoying. But I finally did it!! And tomorrow I have a huge test. It's going to be a difficult
one but I feel more optimistic now that I've unclogged the sink and all. I can do it!!! :help: :help:
Ash

Post by Ash »

How did the test go, Darkly? :)
darkly

Post by darkly »

^ I think I did ok, at least I hope so. It was my Chinese finals and I really want to do well.
Brotherman

Post by Brotherman »

The last two weeks have been exactly what I needed. For the past year I've been running wide open with no chance to sit down and collect my thoughts. Job, school, (ex) girlfriend and other stuff have completely sucked away from mental reserves. It was to the point a few weeks ago I was contemplating dropping out of school and getting a job at BMW. Now I feel the best I have felt mentally in about three years. :D Watch out world!!!