Kids?

An environment for anything from relaxed general discussion topics to intense debates. Just remember to show some respect and keep things on topic.
Agent Of Fortune

Kids?

Post by Agent Of Fortune »

I think as the shenmue crowd gets older, this has to come up at some point. Anybody have/want kids? I don't have any yet, but am 26(almost 27), so I think that within the next few years I'll probably have one. I spend a lot of time thinking what things I'm going to teach them, and what I'm going to keep around for them to discover. I know it sounds completely rediculous, but I really want to make sure i keep a working Dreamcast so I can expose them to Shenmue. :-P I can't guarantee anything'll come of it, but it'd be nice to keep the faith through another generation.
ys

Re: Kids?

Post by ys »

Well, I'm at an age where many already have one but my life is still a bit too chaotic in a way so it doesn't seem right in a way.
Hvergelmir dreki
Með høfuðum ellifu
Frá Utgarði
Ek kalla þik

tao

Post by tao »

I don't have kids and I know for sure I will not take up the responsibility of being a mother in the near future.

I have considered adoption even if I can (or can't) conceive. I just know right now I don't have the knowledge, financial stability, or life experience it takes to raise one.
darkly

Post by darkly »

I don't have kids yet either. Interesting topic. Yes I'm also at an age where many have kids and I have thought alot about it. Do I want kids? What kind of life would I have if I never get kids? Is it a possible future or is kids something I absolutely imagine myself getting one day? All I know right now is that I'm not ready yet.

I have also considered adoption and it has nothing to do with beeing able to conceive or not but I have friends that are adopted and I just keep thinking about what kind of life they'd had if they hadn't been living here.

Sounds like you are preparing yourself to become a dad Hoss :D You'll make a good dad someday. I wish you good luck with that.
Agent Of Fortune

THanks, yeah I'd like to think I'll be a good dad. I have a tendency to get snappy at times though, so sometimes I worry I won't have enough patience.

As Tao said, I definitely don't think I'm far enough along financially to be able to have a kid now, but yeah, within the next few years, there might be a tiny me walking around. I've spent a lot of times thinking of how my parents raised me, and how I'm going to take some of those ideas and use them to raise my kids, and how I'll be adding some of my own ideas and such. I'll probably have to take some sort of parenting class, as I've never really babysat or anything before, so I have no idea how to handle kids. :-D
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

I'm 27 and all my buddies have kids. I have worked for boys and girls club in the past,done babysitting and always just in general good with young kids. Anything over 5 years old and forget it.
They way my family has gone the last 100 years or so history plus i am the last to carry the name,I plan to just end the family name with me.
I just don't want kids. I already know I will be one of those old grumpy guys that does not get married till I'm older than dirt.
:P
tao

Post by tao »

Ryudo wrote:
They way my family has gone the last 100 years or so history plus i am the last to carry the name,I plan to just end the family name with me.
I just don't want kids. I already know I will be one of those old grumpy guys that does not get married till I'm older than dirt.
:P
I feel somewhat similar. I share the same surname as my father but I don't even know him nor that side of the family very well. Being female, there's no obligation on my part to continue the line. Carrying the name's going to fall on my half-brother's shoulders. A lot of my cousins on my mom's side already have kids; I'm not expected to add any more.

I don't place much priority on marriage. In fact, spinsterhood doesn't sound all that bad to me. If I ever do end up raising a child, I'd probably end up being more mentor-like than mothering. I cringe everytime I see mothers baby-talking, hovering, and ordering their kids around in public. Basically placing the word 'mothering' in 'smothering.' Children are humans, not puppy dogs!

I would definitely not teach my child the same way my parents did. While I was well provided for, there were still some things lacking, now that I look back. Just as Hoss said, supplementing the things we felt our parents did well, with what we think will do well. I'm sure everyone has had some experiences with their parents that they didn't like or even resented, and we may be blind to what sort of things we could be doing better as parents for the child. Truth is every child is different as every individual is different, so there may be issues as a result of personality clashes, thinking processes, generation gap, etc. I wouldn't really know whether my child would thrive or end up resenting my parenting.

...And there I go throwing a bucket of cold water on everything. :hmm: I suppose all anyone can do is their best by listening to their partners and to their kids-- so good luck, everyone! :thumbsup:
Vyse Hazuky

Post by Vyse Hazuky »

tao wrote:spinsterhood
tao

Post by tao »

Hahaha, really? :lol:

Never mind that, I'd rather be a bachelor 8-)
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

I like the single life,course I never know what unexpected thing may happen but the way things are for me plus how I think best chance of me getting married is when I'm old.
Kids..well for me it would be more of what NOT to do than what to do. My dad was awful as a father and my mom while very loving was trapped in my dads grip so she was not able to truly give me good lessons growing up.
Now she is a good friend besides being mother and a good mentor with advise.
I just don't see myself as a truly committed parent.
Sterling
Administrator

Post by Sterling »

If my kids end up supporting any team other than Manchester United, I will have failed as a father.
What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one.
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

Liverpool FTW!
============================================
However if Riku reads this topic...

WEST HAM FTW!!
Agent Of Fortune

Ryudo wrote:
I like the single life,course I never know what unexpected thing may happen but the way things are for me plus how I think best chance of me getting married is when I'm old.
Kids..well for me it would be more of what NOT to do than what to do. My dad was awful as a father and my mom while very loving was trapped in my dads grip so she was not able to truly give me good lessons growing up.
Now she is a good friend besides being mother and a good mentor with advise.
I just don't see myself as a truly committed parent.
Yeah, the single life is great in that you call all the shots. If there is anything you don't want to do, you don't have to do it. If there is anything you don't want to buy, you don't have to buy. Unfortunately, married life doesn't have these luxuries. That's why I think you should only get married if you meet someone important enough to you that you are willing to give up some of these freedoms, otherwise you will be miserable. Basically, its like you give up something to get something.

Yes, I think that everyone has those things that their parents did that affected them negatively, and they will not pass on to future generations. I look back on my childhood and see many things that my parents did that I didn't like that i find myself doing now. I hope that when I have kids, I can hide those traits away so that my kids can grow up without them.
Riku

Post by Riku »

Ryudo wrote:Liverpool FTW!
============================================
However if Riku reads this topic...

WEST HAM FTW!!
West Ham lost 3-0 today.

Millwall won 4-0. Top of the league.
Sterling
Administrator

Post by Sterling »

Little kids are easy to brainwash, you just have to go in with a plan and get them early. Case in point, Simmons decided the only kids show he could tolerate having to watch with his kids was Scooby Doo so he made his kids watch Scooby Doo all the time and kept telling them it was the greatest show ever, and that's what they now believe.
What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one.