Shenmue Dojo Dead or Under Construction?

An environment for anything from relaxed general discussion topics to intense debates. Just remember to show some respect and keep things on topic.
RobotWillie

Re: Shenmue Dojo Dead or Under Construction?

Post by RobotWillie »

I've been logging what I eat for dinner for that topic when its back up, and I have some stuff to add to the people you would eff topic, and the last book you bought topic, and a few other things. Dammmit...... Hurry Up!
Peter

Post by Peter »

I honestly hope its another 5 years at least before we even hear taalk of future generations of consoles. In fact, gaming in general is at its peak now with the Wii, HD gaming and Dolby sound. I fear gaming as we know it will begin to decline in ingenouity and surprise. That is if your a fan of "gaming" as we know it. For me gaming hasnt been the same with the introduction of online services. I didnt get my Dreamcast for all the hype of online gaming, i got it because of everything else it offered. I went online on my Dreamcast to check out this whole "internet" thing, found online chatrooms, chatted up some text girl from Scotland and jerked off whilst she typed on the screen what underwear she had on. Thats my extent of the internet on a gaming console back then, because thats what i wanted it to be and nothing more.

Todays kid getting a 360 or PS3 as their first console has a completely different aspect on what gaming is. Personally im glad i wont share his experiences of growing up in his generation (fifth i think) of consoles. Look at this way: i first had an Atari 7800, then a Commodore C64, followed by a Nintendo, then a Mega Drive/Genesis. From there it was back to Nintendo for an N64 and then the Dreamcast. I finally gave in years later and bought an Xbox (due for Shenmue 2 ONLY!) then moved onto the 360. Oh and currently ive a PS3 on the way in the post. Now, if you told me id die tomorrow and in the afterlife i could have 3 consoles only for the rest of eternity, do you know what id choose? Mega Drive/Genesis, N64 and the Dreamcast because for me, thats the ultimate pinnacle of gaming advance in terms of GAMES (il let substitutes in there, eg SNES for Mega Drive/Genesis and PS for N64). That jump of generations will take a long time to beat in the context of gaming, and what gaming is to me. Take online elements out of games and tell me 10 world renowned, ground breaking games on the PS3 or Xbox 360. You could maybe name 10 and if you can fair play, but can you honestly put your hand on your heart and say that those 10 demonstrate a great depth of variety, ingenouity and fun? I cant. Online gaming if great, but untimately its the same running around a sandbox doing the same thing, to rack up meaningless points on a meaningless global league table. Remember the online elements to Shenmue? Trading toy capsules? Amazing, and better than online shootem ups in this day and age.
Yukupo
Administrator

Post by Yukupo »

Whoa, an actual conversation. :shock:

Reflecting upon this recent activity and going through Shenmue again, I've become mighty nostalgic for the days of the Shenmue Dojo once again. ;_;
Peter

Post by Peter »

Thats why i sonetimes get into heated debates with people, especailly on Shenmue boards who have progressed onwards with the videogame industry and get fed up sometimes discussing "nostalga" since these boards are dedicated to a game that exists in such an era.

I replay my favourite consoles and games on as much a regular basis as a kid growing up in this day and age is, who talks smack to you on XBLA. I mean is that the future of gaming, where a 9 year old swears at you and has the freedom to say things about "yo mamma"? That for me isnt gaming, and where the gaming industry is on a downward rail. Thats why when i talk about gaming today, its almost 100% nostalga regarded, because for me, thats real gaming. As ive said, running about a sandbox shooting army clones and then saying "yea your shit, now get out of the room to i f**k yo mamma" cannot be as brilliant as what Sony and Microsoft sell it as.

I live in nostalga. Its the best place to be for a gamer in this day and age. :)
Yukupo
Administrator

Post by Yukupo »

Fortunately for us there's still more to modern gaming than that. I mean, I haven't really been so excited for many games these days as I was back in the day. But I usually attribute that to me changing more than gaming itself. There's still plenty of good titles coming out.

I was, however, practically yelling at the television while going through Shenmue saying "Why don't people appreciate you?!" And then crying into my vast quantities of alcohol.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Absolutely. Sega recently announced that they will be releasing DC gamesas DLC for 360 and PSN. With all the talk about Shenmue being "ahead of its time" and "too much too soon", id love to see the sales figures of Shenmue if its released as DLC. If there was ever a realistic chance of showing Sega how much support there is for Shenmue and an actual demand for Shenmue 3, purchasing Shenmue DLC would be it. If it is released as DLC, i would go as far to say that it would be the best game ever released, certainly on the 360 at least, in terms of story and emmersion. The first game i bought for the PS3 was Heavy Rain to see if it even compares to Shenmue in terms of story and emotion so wel see, but definately if Shenmue is released in the next year, i believe a whole new audience would open its eyes to Shenmue and could breathe life into some sort of rebirth.
Yukupo
Administrator

Post by Yukupo »

I sure hope they release it on there. But quite honestly I don't see it as ahead of it's time. (Unless the future becomes really awesome.) It's a gameplay style that I don't think appeals to the mainstream at all with it's slow-paced detective work gameplay. I think it will probably always be a niche title. But I do hope it gets some new recognition. So I hope if they ever re-approach the series they go into it with niche title in mind and stay true to it rather than trying to adjust it to appeal to more people.
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

Shenmue just needs more vuvuzela.
Peter

Post by Peter »

ha! Im actually watching the Spain v Portugal match now. :lol:
[mYLES]

Post by [mYLES] »

Good point Peter. Dreamcast was good for masturbation purposes.
Yukupo
Administrator

Post by Yukupo »

Ryudo wrote:Shenmue just needs more vuvuzela.
"I'm looking for a man named Lan-" BZZZZZZZZZZZZZBBZZBZBZZZZZZZZZZBZZBZZZZZBZZZZBZZZZZZZBZZZZZBZZZZZZ
"Any information at all would be-" BZZZZZZZZZZZZZBBZZBZBZZZZZZZZZZBZZBZZZZZBZZZZBZZZZZZZBZZZZZBZZZZZZ
"I see"
Peter

Post by Peter »

:lol:

Yukupo
Administrator

Post by Yukupo »

:D What if we replace the mirrors with vuvuzelas? The Chiyoumen need both the dragon and the phoenix vuvuzela for their dastardly plot of making the world go deaf...
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

Gaming related I finally finished my front room shelf to bring a section of my ongoing project of a gaming room.
I posted part of it on SD not long ago and now it has a few minor changes and fully done.
The bedroom of the apt is along way off of becoming the permanent main game room.(I sleep in the front room anyway..just wierd like that) Bedroom has all my Mags I collected the last 12 years and shwag and collectibles gathered over the years but so disorganized plus I have a bunch of boxes in there till I can afford a storage unit to move them too.

Gaming has really changed in so many ways obviously since when I first started in the late 80's at the age of 4.
I still love gaming,now more than ever since I have become one of those geeks building game rooms.
I have lot's of nostalgia of course and my daily shirts and music and other ways of expressing my passion for this industry but I still remember plenty of the bad that was around then that later eras fixed or got worse and somethings now are better than back then.

I don't deny however I keep end up acting like the old man spouting the "back in my day....get off my lawn" stuff also I see a lot of these days.
I won't get into why but at SD I have been pretty vocal my dislike of DLC and downloadable games. I believe in Physical copies only as the main source.I am annoyed at labels created this gen like "casual" & "Hardcore" and it's used as a class system. The so called casual gamers can only enjoy one certain set of systems and games and the so called hardcore can only enjoy certain systems and games as a class system. The "Casual" is the proletariat and the "hardcore" is The aristocracy of gaming.
It's BS.
Both look like tools to me. They both buy what they are hyped up to buy from Gamestop or these so called pro gamesites.
There is a lot less risk in gaming today so you do see less ambitious or obscure gaming types.
I tend to look more into that type of gaming but can also enjoy some of the more hyped games.
I just love gaming so I am just simply a gamer. Though I do get my reviews more from youtube gaming channels and other gaming related entertainment in web shows.

Only go with IGN/Gametrailers and other sites or whatever else just as news,not their opinions. Too much corp.

I have no idea where i wanted to go with this post that went longer than expected but will end it with. Hand me a controller and let me play what I want to play and be happy.
:dc+: :dca: :dcb: :dcx: :dcy:
Peter

Post by Peter »

I dread 10 years time when 3D gaming is live. I actually cringe at that. Wearing 3D glasses and looking like a prick, whilst running on the spot and kicking air because thats what Fifa will be in 10 years time. That thought actually makes me sick. Thats why il always be an old time gamer, who loves his handheld controller with d-pad and 4 coloured buttons.