The Jeff Show: Jeff Gets Angry at the Newspaper

An environment for anything from relaxed general discussion topics to intense debates. Just remember to show some respect and keep things on topic.

Re: The Jeff Show: Jeff Gets Angry at the Newspaper

Postby Hei Long on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:19 pm

Sterling wrote:
Hei Long wrote:yada yada yada


I'm not advocating putting signs of the side of the bus saying "God exists! Glory Be!". Neither am I a religious guy. I'm simply taking a stance against what is obviously hate speech. You can dress it up any way you like, with technicalities and whatnot, I know when I am being talked down to by these types of organisations. Furthermore, you mention not targeting children. Exactly who do you think the FFRF are going after with their Santa Claus imagery?

When I talk about atheists understand I'm referring to a select group who form groups like that and make it their life's mission to accuse everyone of being backward pagans who believe in fairy tales and tear down nativity scenes from the local mall, and force people to call Christmas "the Winter Festival". Just as I'm sure you understand the extremist factions of religion you are talking about are the minority.

You want to see something that's genuinely ridiculous and offensive? This is the new religion, I'm serious. Perhaps even a cult.


Apologies for the original post, it wasn't very polite of me and pretty rude in places. I seem to make a habit of turning up every few months drunk or hungover and trying to fill a big word quota.

I don't think it is hate speech to say God doesn't exist the same way I don't take it as hate speech towards myself if someone said that God does exist. I don't think the bus thing was particularly dignified compared to say the ones over here (http://www.atheistbus.org.uk/) and you had a very good point about the santa imagery but I think I defended it because I agreed with the general theme that it's good to question these things. Just crudely executed.

That winterval thing was proven to be tabloid nonsense but I get your point.
Hei Long
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: The Jeff Show: Jeff Gets Angry at the Newspaper

Postby Riku on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:54 am

Jeff wrote:
Riku wrote:
Jeff wrote:Atheists are as stubborn and dogmatic


That's just stupid. You can't explain a whole group just because of something like that. I'd say you ain't stubborn but a idiot.


If you listened to the video done by a researcher who wrote a book on the subject you would understand what I was saying you nimwit. Evidently you are an Atheist judging by your defensive attitude toward the subject and may explain why you're so negative and miserable all the time here as well as Shenmue Dojo. And if you listened to the whole discussion in that video compilation you would see that science is finding out in recent years that intelligent forces is very probable which what created the universe and science is no longer proving that religion is wrong but that there is something to it. Steven Hawking's quote in the video compilation provides nearly a seal-proof explanation of this being the case.


I don't believe in the God that we read in the Bible. As for anything else about how we were made I really coulden't care less. I'm not going to sit around and think about something where there is no answer. I didn't watch the video because I really can't be arsed. Maybe you should say certain people are stubborn rather then a whole group. It's like my saying all Christians are a bunch of crazy brainwashed people. So here's an idea stop yelling at a newspaper and get your facts right.
Riku
User avatar
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: Kent, England

Re: The Jeff Show: Jeff Gets Angry at the Newspaper

Postby Ryudo on Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:32 am

relax guys. Don't think we need to lower to name calling.
Ryudo
User avatar
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:19 am

Re: The Jeff Show: Jeff Gets Angry at the Newspaper

Postby beedle on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:31 pm

Jeff, I listened to the video. I'd agree, people who say "there is no life after death FULL STOP" are stupid. However, that is not what being an atheist entails. Even so, not many people would say that. What I've found is most people identify themselves as atheists when they are actually agnostic. Being atheist means you complete reject the existance of some deity, most just think there probably isn't one. The people that think otherwise are narrow minded idiots. Even Richard Dawkins doesn't completely reject the possibility of a God.

And regarding Dawkins and the bus campaign, I'm against it. I mean, I don't think it should be banned, but it's clearly there to invoke some kind of reaction. Dawkins is an idiot. With him and his humanist gang going around trying to convert people to non-belief, it means I can't moan about Jehovah's Witnesses knocking on my door.

Humanists, sod off. Stop going around preaching the message. You're worse than religious people - at least they have an excuse. You people are just doig it for some ego trip. And yes, you might be more clued up about science than them but who gives a crap. As Ryudo said, Live and Let live.

I can't remember if he said that.
beedle
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:54 pm

Re: The Jeff Show: Jeff Gets Angry at the Newspaper

Postby Hei Long on Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:44 pm

I couldn't stomach listening to the whole of the video Jeff posted. Partly because the video poster on it linked to a David Icke article who is a British conspiracy theorist who believes that the world's elites are shape shifting man eating lizards and partly the dubious notion of taking a Stephen Hawking quote out of context and claiming him as "one of their own" to salvage a scrap of scientific legitimacy when it is far more accurate to describe him as a Pantheist similar to Einstein (another Scientist that certain dubious religious types have tried to claim as a theist, despite the evidence) so basically, I find that very dishonest and it makes me wonder what else that guy would lie about. Probably a lot.

beedle wrote:Jeff, I listened to the video. I'd agree, people who say "there is no life after death FULL STOP" are stupid. However, that is not what being an atheist entails. Even so, not many people would say that. What I've found is most people identify themselves as atheists when they are actually agnostic. Being atheist means you complete reject the existance of some deity, most just think there probably isn't one. The people that think otherwise are narrow minded idiots. Even Richard Dawkins doesn't completely reject the possibility of a God.

And regarding Dawkins and the bus campaign, I'm against it. I mean, I don't think it should be banned, but it's clearly there to invoke some kind of reaction. Dawkins is an idiot. With him and his humanist gang going around trying to convert people to non-belief, it means I can't moan about Jehovah's Witnesses knocking on my door.

Humanists, sod off. Stop going around preaching the message. You're worse than religious people - at least they have an excuse. You people are just doig it for some ego trip. And yes, you might be more clued up about science than them but who gives a crap. As Ryudo said, Live and Let live.

I can't remember if he said that.


Well as an atheist, I think you have misconstrued our views wildly. It is apparent that a lot of people seem to think that being an atheist means the exact opposite of a Christian within a denomination, in that you dogmatically insist you know there isn't a God. I don't quite know what dogma anybody would point to, in order to prove this but its typical of people that don't want to offend people and want to maintain some moral high ground over a situation. "Hey guys, nobody knows!" No, you are right in the same way that you would be right if you stated the "Sun is hot." But the shoe is on the foot of the believer to prove themselves as opposed to the unbeliever. In absence of any meaningful evidence, it most likely isn't there.

I don't see how anyone can be offended by the British Atheist bus campaign. The Dawkins sponsored bus ads merely said "there probably isn't a God, now stop worrying and enjoy life." I don't really see how anyone can take offence? I haven't seen signs outside places of worship saying "JESUS (probably) LIVES" or "GOD IS (most likely, according to our worldview) ONE.)"
Hei Long
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: The Jeff Show: Jeff Gets Angry at the Newspaper

Postby beedle on Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:14 pm

How have I misconstrued atheism? By definition it means you do not believe in a god at all. As I said, most people would not completely say that god definitely does not exist. I am saying most identify themselves as atheists, when technically, are not. Like me.

And regarding the bus campaign; even if you don't know how people could be offended by it, you knew people would be as soon as you heard about it, and so did the people running the bloody thing. I'd agree, and think anyone offended needs to grow up, but I'd say the whole thing was designed, to an extent, with the idea of winding up them crazy religious folk.

I'm against it for that reason, the hypocrite it makes me look like (I moan about Christian posters and stuff) and it's a waste of money.

oh bump
beedle
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:54 pm

Re: The Jeff Show: Jeff Gets Angry at the Newspaper

Postby Hei Long on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:54 pm

I'll try and collaborate what I was saying Beedle.

The core word I would say is "belief."

Belief is what the scientific atheist thinks should be held up to scrutiny like pretty much everything else is in the Western world and rightfully so. Belief equates to nothing if it is not held up by evidence. In lack of any evidence, the most logical conclusion is that there is no God. So it is not, "I believe there isn't a God" it's more "I see no evidence there is a God, therefore one most likely does not exist." I think that is how most atheists would define themselves. Because to criticise religion for blind belief, and to follow one yourself is pure hypocrisy.

I don't really see how rational religious or non-religious people could be offended by the Dawkins campaign but regardless, thats not the issue, human beings SHOULD have the right to offend. And that goes towards people whom offend me. If nobody went around offending anybody it would be a terribly boring society. It stirs debate. That is one of the positive things about Western democracies. We can offend one another, talk it out and settle our differences without bloodshed.
Hei Long
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:00 pm

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron