Language and the Internet?

An environment for anything from relaxed general discussion topics to intense debates. Just remember to show some respect and keep things on topic.
Sterling
Administrator

Language and the Internet?

Post by Sterling »

I've been reading a couple of forums and it seems like people just slip their favourite swear words into their regular posting. I mean occasionally if I'm making a mock/joke post or I'm really, incredibly worked up I'll let the f-bombs fly but it seems like there are some posters who are keen to use them to show off what a mature cynic they are, or when they're trying to belittle other people or just generally troll. I genuinely think 94% of the time it's totally unnecessary and just makes the poster look like an idiot. What do you think?
What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one.
Riku

Re: Language and the Internet?

Post by Riku »

I swear alot in real life when there is no need. It's just a habit. But I think it is a bit silly getting affended by swear words does swearing really affended people like that guy in Clerks?
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

I really do swear a lot in real life but I am tongue and cheek about it and used in certain tones.
Sometimes I adapt the humour and replace the words with non cuss words(or non English versions of the same thing) or make something up...then those times be outright nerdy and use stuff from games or sci fi made up junk.
Very rare it's meant as serious but never used as trying to look/sound tough.

We have talked on MSN a bit and seen me post over the years and I talk similar,what does not translate that I can never put in text or even the emotes is HOW I say things.
:P

Riku I don't think Juan is talking about people being offended(yes that plays a part) but more on the lines of how small your vocabulary is,so you sound very uneducated most the time cuss words are used. Juan is right in that regard it's usually forced into a persons post.

Me it just fits my odd sense of humour but sometimes I over do it.

PS,Nice MSN handle Juan haha
"I stick motherfuckin' provolone in my socks at night,so they smell like your sister's crotch in the morning!"
Sterling
Administrator

Post by Sterling »

You're right, Ryudo. It's not about taking offense, it's about thinking "Sheesh, you have no other way of communicating your ideas?" The swears get used just because they can, like they're trying to rebel against something that isn't really there.
What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one.
Vyse Hazuky

Post by Vyse Hazuky »

Is this directed at someone specifically?
Riku

Post by Riku »

No I just went off topic on how people are offended by it. I didn't mean Juan.
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

Riku wrote:No I just went off topic on how people are offended by it. I didn't mean Juan.
Shut the fuck up,dumbass motherfuckin' whiteboy.
tao

Post by tao »

Swear words roll off the tongue sometimes in my conversations but I never mean them maliciously. Meanwhile I get annoyed when people are so compelled to say fuck after every word in a sentence. I find the f-word loses its potency and charm (hah) when abused like that :P Also, I can't understand a word they're saying
Riku

Post by Riku »

Ryudo wrote:
Riku wrote:No I just went off topic on how people are offended by it. I didn't mean Juan.
Shut the fuck up,dumbass motherfuckin' whiteboy.
Your a cunt and I'm going to ram my fist in that piece of shit you call a head you dickweed.
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

tao wrote:Swear words roll off the tongue sometimes in my conversations but I never mean them maliciously. Meanwhile I get annoyed when people are so compelled to say fuck after every word in a sentence. I find the f-word loses its potency and charm (hah) when abused like that :P Also, I can't understand a word they're saying
Indeed.
When it's the f bomb every other word they may as well be a scot talking.