Cash for Clunkers in the Obama Health Plan

An environment for anything from relaxed general discussion topics to intense debates. Just remember to show some respect and keep things on topic.
Jeff

Cash for Clunkers in the Obama Health Plan

Post by Jeff »

You all know the successful Cash for Clunkers where you hand in your old car for an exchange for $4,500 towards a new car where the old car is crushed right? Well dear leader Barack Obama has spun off this program to aid in the new government run health care program! We all know how expensive health care and insurance is. The elderly run up the costs with their constant need for care because they are becoming decrepit and really don't provide any use to society anymore. So if Granny is constantly in need of care, send that ol' clunker to the federal government and well send her to a remote tropical island where nature can take it's course while giving you $4,500 to go paint the town red and help the economy with buying expensive shit! Yes Virginia, it's a new day in America!!!

Banned for life from Shenmue Dojo for being too awesome for the server to handle
Kiba

Re: Cash for Clunkers in the Obama Health Plan

Post by Kiba »

"C'est la vie."
Sterling
Administrator

Post by Sterling »

I thought this cash for clunkers thing was a joke when I heard about it. It's definitely one of the more ridiculous things I've stumbled across this week. What exactly is the government doing getting involved in the used car business? I'm sure they have some BS practical reasoning but I think what really attracted them is that both businesses have an abundance of conmen. I just hope that people wake up, smell the coffee and realize this "Cash" for the clunkers has to come from somewhere.
What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Uh oh, I made a joke that undermines the Dear Leader's actions. Please report me to the Obamunist government.

http://www.redstate.com/jeff_emanuel/20 ... -about-it/

There is a lot of disinformation about health insurance reform out there, spanning from control of personal finances to end of life care. These rumors often travel just below the surface via chain emails or through casual conversation. Since we can’t keep track of all of them here at the White House, we’re asking for your help. If you get an email or see something on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy, send it to flag@whitehouse.gov.

2+2=5. Your eyes deceive you...

Banned for life from Shenmue Dojo for being too awesome for the server to handle
Hei Long

Post by Hei Long »

It's things like this that have kept Germany in the recession.

Oh wait.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

The reason why Germany is coming out of the recession is because they don't squander their money as much as people do in the U.S. They didn't get caught in a credit crunch. They save more which is a conservative principal Hei. I know this from my boss who is a German citizen.

So on Saturday morning I got up early and headed to Rutland to attend one of the notorious town hall meetings with Senator Bernie Sanders because not only did I have nothing better to do this weekend, but I had serious concerns about the current plan. Let me just say that I think private insurance these days are insanely expensive and if I were out of a job I would probably be uninsured myself, but the current plan with a government option would make it easier for large corporations to just pay a tax fine and throw their employees to the government than insure them through a private corporate plan. Knowing the organization I am affiliated with I would expect that I would be one thrown to the government for a cost savings. I was hoping given that VT is a small state I was expecting to be able to tell this to Sen. Sanders and have a rational discussion so that we could find a solution to this problem...boy was I naive.

When I arrived 45 minutes early to be on the safe side it was a complete mob scene. There must have been nearly 400 people there. The group lined up at the door first was a hard leftist special interest group, all with the same professionally printed signed for a single payer system (which BTW Obama says he doesn't support today, though said he did in a 2004 and 2002 video) that were bused in from somewhere else very early in the morning so that they could fill the chairs, essentially locking out the concerned citizens of the area. The bus was parked in a parking garage across the street but unfortunately I was unable to get a picture, which I wanted to because It left just a couple minutes after I arrived. The people who I was with on the long line were very angry because of this group blocking them from entering the church. Then without checking if the people were Vermonters or from someplace else they let in at a gross disproportion the special interest group members.

Soon after this Bernie Sanders staff members told us in line that we were not going to see Bernie or go in the church which can only fit 200 people (how convenient to pick a place that fits mostly the special interest group). They did however gave us a slip of paper to write our concerns and questions on and I wrote what I basically said previously in this blog. They told us we might as well leave and since it was rather hot and humid I left.

Later on that evening I was watching the local news when I saw the coverage of the town hall. Bernie eventually comes out of the Church to talk to the people on the lawn (after telling us we won't see him) and surrounding him were that special interest group because they were pretty much the only ones crazy enough to stay there after what his staffers told us and with the heat.

I learned a few things and confirmed previous thoughts from that day.

1. Democracy doesn't work when special interest groups block the voices of the citizens.
2. Democracy doesn't work when a Senator permits this behavior.
3. Bernie Sanders is full of shit claiming that he is a man of the people. Most of people in politics aren't, but liberals play the act better promising entitlements.

When we were told to leave by his staffers not too long after a guy says in complete sincerity "Bernie Sanders is my hero". The guy shut him out and told him to go home and this clown is completely oblivious to what just occurred. He represents many in this state who don't have a clue. A state I cannot wait for the day I can say I am no longer a citizen of.

My advice to those reading this today is don't expect a leader or the government to help you. The truth is they rarely do. Make yourself the leader of yourself. If you want a better life there is no one better to get that done than yourself when it comes to getting a job with better money, getting a nice place to live, etc. It's like the end of the movie 'Bruce Almighty', you have to be the miracle. So take charge of your own destiny and shun anyone with a slick tongue telling you that they can do it for you.

Here is a pic I took of the event. You can see the people piled up in a group at the front is the special interest group. To the right is the actual citizens lined up, a line that goes over two blocks who got turned away.

Last edited by Jeff on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sterling
Administrator

Post by Sterling »

Also, Germany, sells their "clunkers" on rather than disabling the engine and throwing them on a very large scrapheap to gather rust. It was also interesting to note that most of the new cars being bought are Fords, as opposed to GM cars who got bailed out while Ford got nothing. They did a good job there of stimulating business.
What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one.
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

Well to be fair it is called cash for clunkers...That is what even new Fords are....clunkers.
:P
Yukupo
Administrator

Post by Yukupo »

Sterling wrote:Also, Germany, sells their "clunkers" on rather than disabling the engine and throwing them on a very large scrapheap to gather rust.
Not that I agree with it at all nor am I paying very much attention, but isn't the point of the clunkers thing to get the more fuel inefficient cars off the road?
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

^ That has been my understanding.

Everything these days has to be more
"Green"
Sterling
Administrator

Post by Sterling »

Yukupo wrote:
Sterling wrote:Also, Germany, sells their "clunkers" on rather than disabling the engine and throwing them on a very large scrapheap to gather rust.
Not that I agree with it at all nor am I paying very much attention, but isn't the point of the clunkers thing to get the more fuel inefficient cars off the road?
"As a carbon dioxide policy, this is a terribly wasteful thing to do," said Henry Jacoby, a professor of management and co-director of the Joint Program on the Science and Policy of Global Change at MIT. "The amount of carbon you are saving per federal expenditure is very, very small."