Underrated/Overrated Artists

Discuss a wide variety of things that entertain you! Movies, television, music, sports, anime: it's all welcome here!
Agent Of Fortune

Underrated/Overrated Artists

Post by Agent Of Fortune »

What artists do you think are underrated/overrated?

Underrated:
Stone Temple Pilots & Smashing Pumpkins - When people talk about the 90's, they always mention the big ones like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains, but people often forget bands like these that were just as good, but because they didn't come out first, didn't make quite as much of an impact.

Overrated:
Green Day - I love Green Day, always have. But, especially after American Idiot came out, it seems like everyone put them on this pedestal as being one of the best bands in the world, when they really aren't. I actually thought they did better at writing smaller, more personal songs than they have done with trying to take on the world and make some big statement about everything, like they are The Clash or something.
tao

Re: Underrated/Overrated Artists

Post by tao »

Overrated:

Miley Cyrus.
Old Man OL

Post by Old Man OL »

I won't get to deep into any of this. Music is too subjective to go on about who's overrated and whatnot, and discussions like this are ripe for pointless argument.
Only one I'll say:
Underrated: Faith No More.
Fucking amazing band, great performers, wildly eclectic back-catalog of songs, yet no one ever mentions them anymore. Biggest props I've seen them get recently was the fact that Epic was in one of the Rock Band games. Besides that, not much.
Mike Patton fucking rules.
Ryudo wrote:The world will end when OL is no longer entertained by us.
Just because.
FitB

Post by FitB »

Overrated:

jonas brothers =_=

CHANGMIN SAYS YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
Tuffty

Post by Tuffty »

I think Prince is very under-rated. Man taught himself how to play piano at 7, guitar at 13 and drums 14. All self-taught. Produces his own albums, literally released hundreds of songs, whether they're his own or with another artist, one of the best live performers, one of the first music artists to use the internet to distribute tracks and still has a music career going strong at this day and age without having to hide behind face masks or adopt a kid from a third-world country. Hell he even made his own effect on the industry when a senator's wife heard her daughter listen to 'Darling Nikki' and the 'Parental Advisory - Explicit Lyrics' sticker you see on album covers today was born.

Also have to mention Rory Gallagher as well. Incredible blues guitarist from Ireland but sadly, didn't get the recognition he deserved in his lifetime and even less so now.

Over-rated? Well, U2, Radiohead, Nirvana, Paramore, Avenged Sevenfold and Lil Wayne to name a few.
Riku

Post by Riku »

Tuffty wrote:I think Prince is very under-rated. Man taught himself how to play piano at 7, guitar at 13 and drums 14. All self-taught. Produces his own albums, literally released hundreds of songs, whether they're his own or with another artist, one of the best live performers, one of the first music artists to use the internet to distribute tracks and still has a music career going strong at this day and age without having to hide behind face masks or adopt a kid from a third-world country. Hell he even made his own effect on the industry when a senator's wife heard her daughter listen to 'Darling Nikki' and the 'Parental Advisory - Explicit Lyrics' sticker you see on album covers today was born.
Also he dosn't stick to one genre. I see him about 2 years ago and it was one of the best concerts I've been to.

Overated:
Green Day
Nirvana
Foo Fighters
U2
Beach Boys
ABBA
Eminem
50 Cent
2Pac
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Linkin Park
Jonas Bros.
That Hannah Montana Girl

Underated:
The Answer
Guns N' Roses (The new lineup)
Izzy Stradlin
Squeeze
Buckethead
Don Henley
Joe Satriani
Ocean Colour Scene
Old Man OL

Post by Old Man OL »

Tuffty wrote:I think Prince is very under-rated. Man taught himself how to play piano at 7, guitar at 13 and drums 14. All self-taught. Produces his own albums, literally released hundreds of songs, whether they're his own or with another artist, one of the best live performers, one of the first music artists to use the internet to distribute tracks and still has a music career going strong at this day and age without having to hide behind face masks or adopt a kid from a third-world country. Hell he even made his own effect on the industry when a senator's wife heard her daughter listen to 'Darling Nikki' and the 'Parental Advisory - Explicit Lyrics' sticker you see on album covers today was born.

Are you fucking kidding me?
Underrated?
Prince?
Prince?
Underrated?
The two words don't even go together. He's had one of the most successful careers in the history of music (you even said it yourself, his career's still going strong today). He's not underrated in the least. At the same time, I wouldn't call him overrated either. The accolades he's recieved pretty much go hand-in-hand with how good he is.
Just because someone isn't on the radio much anymore, and just because 13 year olds don't listen to them doesn't mean that an artist is underrated.
The man is extremely popular and he's gotten about as much acclaim as any person in the music industry could possibly ask for.
Not underrated at all.
Ryudo wrote:The world will end when OL is no longer entertained by us.
Just because.
Tuffty

Post by Tuffty »

^ I dunno, it just seems that for a man who's released absolute classics like When Doves Cry, 1999, Kiss, Purple Rain and Raspberry Beret, he's not often quoted as being such an influence on the industry and for today's music artists, aside from Beyonce and Ne-Yo citing him.

Then I suppose today's music artists can't live without some sampled loop forming their tracks.

I'm just speaking cause the man's an absolute genius, and the industry won't ever see another like him, he should be getting more acclaim than he is. Perhaps the acclaim is different elsewhere cause here in the UK, I don't think they give two fucks.