Star Trek

Discuss a wide variety of things that entertain you! Movies, television, music, sports, anime: it's all welcome here!
Bambi

Star Trek

Post by Bambi »

Anyone else looking forward to this? Think I've watched the 3rd trailer around 30 times now. :oops:

Hope it's not a huge let-down, either way the casting choices seem excellent.
Yukupo
Administrator

Re: Star Trek

Post by Yukupo »

I'll watch it. I'm not sure what to think about it yet.
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

NOT looking forward to it.
Abandons cannon and just went for the mainstream.
They removed the TREK part and just replaced it with action from all the reviews I read.
I will still see it but I am so far not liking the new direction.
Bambi

Post by Bambi »

Ryudo wrote:NOT looking forward to it.
Abandons cannon and just went for the mainstream.
They removed the TREK part and just replaced it with action from all the reviews I read.
I will still see it but I am so far not liking the new direction.
While I grew up with the original TV series I'm not a dedicated trekkie or whatever but I hope they don't totally trample all over the story or characters or whatever.

Although with a franchise like Star Trek and its fanbase, it's gonna be impossible to please everyone.
Riku

Post by Riku »

Ryudo wrote:Abandons cannon and just went for the mainstream.
I doubt many people other then Star Trek fans will go see it. With the people I know it is you are either a fan or think it's for nerds.
Bambi

Post by Bambi »

Riku wrote:I doubt many people other then Star Trek fans will go see it.
I don't think that's true, I hope Ryudo's not 100% correct in predicting it will only appeal to the mainstream but it's definitely going to appeal to them.

The teaser TV spots etc seem to really (and I guess for some fans worryingly) be pushing the message that this is a movie for anyone, not just the die hard trek fans.
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

I think Riku is dead wrong.

All I have been hearing and reading everywhere is "I never liked trek but I'm def going to see this" "never watched star trek before but this looks awesome" stuff like that.
When you try and please everyone...you fail.
And the reviews I read mostly positive but all went on the same easy razzle dazzle appeal action and spfx.

The more critical reviews put that aside and look at story and characters and the canon that was trek like the history and the focus on philosophy and psychology and exploration of space and humanity.
All missing.

Even in the trailers it throws a bunch some history out like the corvette thing when in TOS an ep where he didn't know how to drive a car and the ship being built on earth spock meeting kirk in the academy and more details they get wrong on purpose.

I just keep getting the feeling jj should have made his own brand sci fi film.

I would be ok if trek died it had a nice 40 year run and plenty of material to re-watch.
If you want to bring the series back from hiatus then please stick to what made it what it was...only reason it faded was not lack of interest from people but Berman just sucked the life out of it..fans still wanted more just wanted Berman out.
Look at Enterprise season 4 when new blood took over,it brought back what was great when Coto took over for berman.
All it needed.
Not another generic space action thing.
JoePesci

Post by JoePesci »

My GM went and saw this at a convention in Las Vegas and said it was actually phenomenal. He thought that it was going to be a piece of shit, and he didn't even like the casting but said that the characters and actors grew on him, especially the guy who played Kirk. He said he played the role with great confidence, and didn't try to give off just a "pretty boy" vibe.

He also said it wasn't great just for effects, even though he liked that. He said it was just overall a great film, with well written dialogue and a suspenseful storyline. He said Simon Pegg as Scotty was great, even though he is barely in it until towards the end of the film.

Personally, I have had no interest in seeing this but from recent trailers and such that I have seen, it makes it seem great. Even though I don't even give a damn about Star Trek whatsoever. It just looks like it has some quality to it. Also, I like that line from the trailer, paraphrased.

Bad Guy 1 (standing by his three other bad partners) : It's 4 against 1. Not a fair fight.

Kirk: Get three or four more guys, then it will be.
Riku

Post by Riku »

I just can't see that many people that usally don't watch the series going to see it. Most people that don't like ST usally think it is a nerd fest and will avoid it because of the name.
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

Riku wrote: is a nerd fest
for nerds.
Stereotype much?

Also do a little research on marketing.

Also the fact last few years there has been no trek around,the franchise was dead and buried by paramount,that is why jj is doing this total reboot.

Riku

Post by Riku »

Ryudo wrote:
Riku wrote: is a nerd fest
for nerds.
Stereotype much?
No not really. I'm saying they are the opinions of people that I know. They seem to link the name Star Trek and nerds quite close together. And I think that with the name it could stop a lot of people going to see it.
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

And that is the reason why JJ was chose to go ahead.

His name is associated with Lost and Cloverfeild and his name alone brings others in.
JoePesci

Post by JoePesci »

Just to be clear: This movie is going to kick ass at the box office. No way are only Trek fans going to see it. Hell, like I've said I want to see it and I have no interest in the franchise whatsoever. It is going to have people of all cliques going and seeing it. Whether it is good or not will determine its overall effect at the box office. It could just be a pump and dump.
[mYLES]

Post by [mYLES] »

Yeah I am a person that not only didn't watch trek ever but dislike the franchise altogether, but I wanna watch this movie.

At first I wasnt even glancing at it, but i have a friend thats a huge trek fan and I watch a trailer with him, it looks damn good.

One of the actors was in this stupid chick flick with lindsay lohan so I hope I dont keep thinking of thast when I watch this.
JoePesci

Post by JoePesci »

Well, Star Trek had a great review in Rolling Stone so I am looking forward to it even more. Everything I have heard has made me pumped for it, save for the fact that it was written by the douchebags who wrote Transformers...*sigh*