Favorite genre of music atm...

Discuss a wide variety of things that entertain you! Movies, television, music, sports, anime: it's all welcome here!
FitB

Favorite genre of music atm...

Post by FitB »

Currently, I am into the K-pop scene, but I do not only listen to it exclusively. I am very open about listening to different genres , and I am always up for listening to new bands and such.

So what kind of music are you guys into? Also open to anything as well, or die hard fans of a specific genre? Let's discuss~

CHANGMIN SAYS YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
Riku

Re: Favorite genre of music atm...

Post by Riku »

Classic Rock any day.
RobotWillie

Post by RobotWillie »

Riku wrote:Classic Rock any day.
Old Man OL

Post by Old Man OL »

Um... rock?
Just about everything I listen to right now is Japanese, but it doesn't all fit into a single genre brand. Some is boarder line death metal, some is practically pop. Usually it all fits under the uniting banner of "Visual Kei", but that's more of a scene, not a genre.
So yeah... just a lot of different rock.
Ryudo wrote:The world will end when OL is no longer entertained by us.
Just because.
FitB

Post by FitB »

Old Man OL wrote:Um... rock?
Just about everything I listen to right now is Japanese, but it doesn't all fit into a single genre brand. Some is boarder line death metal, some is practically pop. Usually it all fits under the uniting banner of "Visual Kei", but that's more of a scene, not a genre.
So yeah... just a lot of different rock.

Ohhh. What kind of VK bands are you into? I am a fan of quite a few bands.

Old Man OL

Post by Old Man OL »

The Gazette is pretty much first and foremost for me at the moment.
Otherwise:
Mucc
-OZ-
deadman
Kagerou
Zodia
Unsraw
the studs
lynch
Dir en Grey
Deathgaze
eight
Girugamesh
Sadie
Screw
Crows
La'Mule
D'espairsRay
Vidoll
Gullet
Skull
Black:List
Sel'm
VanessA

A few others too. Some of them I just like a few songs, others I'm crazy about and preorder everything they release. I was never really a dork about any kind of music until I found this stuff. Now most of my time on the internet is spent looking for more VK bands to listen to (I'm even doing it right now).
Just because.
FitB

Post by FitB »

Very nice list. I see a lot of indies bands. I like Gazette, MUCC, Dir en grey, Girugamesh, Vidoll, and Sadie. And I know what you mean about looking for different bands. I waste most of my time and life looking for bands also. Did you happen to catch any of these guys live?

Old Man OL

Post by Old Man OL »

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near Japan, so I've never seen any of them live (besides on DVDs and youtube). And any time any of them come to the US, it's usually for some anime convention or something off in California or New York, so no luck there either.
If I lived in Japan, though, you can bet I'd pretty much do nothing BUT go to VK live shows.
*sigh*
A man can dream.
Just because.
FitB

Post by FitB »

Seriously? Quite a few bands had performed in other cities besides LA and NYC. Dir en grey has a tour here every year. I've seen them twice. Go catch them if you have the chance. They're really good live. I think the best concert I've been to so far would be Jrock Revolution. I went for the first night, and every single band that played was AMAZING. I had soooo much fun when Vidoll and alice nine. performed. I wish they'd come back.

Old Man OL

Post by Old Man OL »

Yeah, I almost went to a Dir en Grey show for my birthday last year, but I decided against it after discovering more and more what DeG fans are usually like in the US. Usually (and I'm just making a broad generalization here; I know they're not all like this) US DeG fans are either Hot Topic-shopping metal heads and goths who have no idea what Diru were initially like (they'd be shocked to see what they looked like back in the Missa days), or they're Japan fanatics who pretty much only like them because they're Japanese (you know, the typical pasty DBZ anime nerd type).
I hope none of this offends at all (no idea what you're like in real life), I just have an extreme aversion to the aforementioned, y'know... poseur types. I think it's kind of an insult to such an amazing band (with such a diverse back-catalog of music) that they finally branch out to the rest of the world, and their main US fanbase ends up being the "no one understands me!" Hot Topic crowd.
Which brings me back to my initial point, that I'd rather not surround myself with those kinds of people by going to a live show. I'd love the music, but it would be ruined by a bunch of pasty losers who don't know a lick of Japanese, singing along in that Japanese that they don't know.
:argh:
My head hurts just thinking about it.
Just because.
FitB

Post by FitB »

Oh man! I know what you mean. Don't worry, I am not offended. You've made some very valid points. It's really sad that the fanbases here for most bands are either Hot Topic freaks or wannabes. It's really annoying to see them at shows, but hey, you go to shows to have fun. Don't let them bother you. Let them say whatever they want, and let them claim to be *insert band's name* number one biggest fan or whatever.

Of course, there are some sane people at the shows--like me. ;D And speaking of the poser fans and Japanophiles.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUMfz0vRc4Q This video made me cry. GEROOOOOOOGAMESH.

Old Man OL

Post by Old Man OL »

:lol:
Did you mean this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP5lz2CY ... re=related
Ugh...
:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:
Yeah, that's pretty painful to watch. And yeah, the "Gerooogamesh!" part was worst. Those are exactly the kind of people that latch on to a fad, then immediately let go as soon as it's not considered "cool" anymore by their friends. They'll get older and look back at it all as some "silly" phase. :roll:
See, that's why I haven't gone to any of these shows; I'd be convicted for murder within an hour.
Just because.
FitB

Post by FitB »

Sorry about that. I didn't realize it was the wrong commercial--it was 2 in the morning, cut me some slack. :oops: And yeah, there are a lot of those "fans" walking around now. Recently, quite a few of them have left the VK scene and has moved onto K-pop. That makes me very sad because I thought they'd never follow boybands since they all claim to be oh so loyal to one band.

But still, if you ignore them, it's a heck of a lot of fun to go to shows. Also, once you're inside the venue, you shove those people around and not get in trouble for it. :twisted:

tao

Post by tao »

Old Man OL wrote:Yeah, I almost went to a Dir en Grey show for my birthday last year, but I decided against it after discovering more and more what DeG fans are usually like in the US.
They're bad enough when they're sober. I was molested by some drunk girl's ass last year at their show. At least I wasn't in the mosh pit lol

I've been listening to a bit of rock, soundtrack, electronica, kpoop, lounge

I switch my tracks as I feel so I haven't really settled into any one genre
FitB

Post by FitB »

tao wrote:They're bad enough when they're sober. I was molested by some drunk girl's ass last year at their show. At least I wasn't in the mosh pit lol

I've been listening to a bit of rock, soundtrack, electronica, kpoop, lounge

I switch my tracks as I feel so I haven't really settled into any one genre
What happened to you was just sad. The people behind us were so gross. I could smell their horrible breaths when they were all pressed up against us. Next time we go to a show, we need to go prepared with a battle plan. I think the mosh pit would be a bit too much for us. Everyone who's inside the pit gets violated whether they want to or not. :|

Kpoop!? D: Madness!