NFL/NCAAF topic

Discuss a wide variety of things that entertain you! Movies, television, music, sports, anime: it's all welcome here!
Ryudo

Re: NFL/NCAAF topic

Post by Ryudo »

Holt has had only visits with Jags then titans and has been very interested in the titans and they want and need him badly.

Holt seems to want to join the Titans so I think they maybe discussing his deal right now,not heard any rumours about other teams or any other planned visits.

Just making a guess that soon Titans and Holt will be striking a deal soon.

EDIT just read he may consider visits to other teams but as for the bears don't count on it,looks like they don't want to even consider the bears.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/04 ... l_cat.html
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090 ... 002/SPORTS
Sterling
Administrator

Post by Sterling »

JoePesci wrote:
Avon wrote:But there's a right way to conduct your business and a wrong way to conduct your business. Cutler is Cutler and players/celebrities often are high-strung divas. The only reason you hear about Jay Cutler going off and not Carson Palmer or Manning or anyone else is that their teams are never stupid enough to shop them while they're in their prime coming off a season where they pretty much single-handedly won eight games. That coach and his staff fucked up entirely and is now trying to put all the blame on the player and his agent which is way more of a bitch move than Cutler deciding he would rather not be in a place where it's clear he was never wanted.
Jason Campbell was almost traded for Cutler and he damn well knows it and just shut his mouth, took his check, and is ready to train and play for the contract that he is signed. Cutler fucked up the Broncos' season last year. They shopped Cutler to see if they could get any good offers, can you blame them? That is how business works. Maybe if he didn't have a four game lead in his division, then lose the four game lead, (the last four games of the season, which has never been done), including the all important final game against San Diego, then Denver wouldn't have even considered shipping him out. His behavior is unjustifiable and Denver has come forward saying they tried to communicate and work it out with him, he just wouldn't talk. He's a great QB, but the dude just needs to grow the fuck up.
The Redskins kept their interest under wraps - the Broncos failed to do that and then McDaniels lied, lied, and then lied some more about the situation. Yeah, Cutler got angry because he got lied to point blank. Jason Campbell is not a star, he hasn't been to the Pro Bowl and he hasn't thrown over 4,000 yards or more than 20 TDs. Maybe if the Broncos weren't down to their eighth string running back and had something even remotely resembling a defense, Cutler wouldn't have had to throw 70 times a game inevitably resulting in interceptions and arm fatigue. People like to talk about the three game losing streak at the end of the year. How about the six times last year Cutler brought them from behind to win close games in the fourth quarter?
What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one.
JoePesci

Post by JoePesci »

Avon wrote:
JoePesci wrote:
Avon wrote:But there's a right way to conduct your business and a wrong way to conduct your business. Cutler is Cutler and players/celebrities often are high-strung divas. The only reason you hear about Jay Cutler going off and not Carson Palmer or Manning or anyone else is that their teams are never stupid enough to shop them while they're in their prime coming off a season where they pretty much single-handedly won eight games. That coach and his staff fucked up entirely and is now trying to put all the blame on the player and his agent which is way more of a bitch move than Cutler deciding he would rather not be in a place where it's clear he was never wanted.
Jason Campbell was almost traded for Cutler and he damn well knows it and just shut his mouth, took his check, and is ready to train and play for the contract that he is signed. Cutler fucked up the Broncos' season last year. They shopped Cutler to see if they could get any good offers, can you blame them? That is how business works. Maybe if he didn't have a four game lead in his division, then lose the four game lead, (the last four games of the season, which has never been done), including the all important final game against San Diego, then Denver wouldn't have even considered shipping him out. His behavior is unjustifiable and Denver has come forward saying they tried to communicate and work it out with him, he just wouldn't talk. He's a great QB, but the dude just needs to grow the fuck up.
The Redskins kept their interest under wraps - the Broncos failed to do that and then McDaniels lied, lied, and then lied some more about the situation. Yeah, Cutler got angry because he got lied to point blank. Jason Campbell is not a star, he hasn't been to the Pro Bowl and he hasn't thrown over 4,000 yards or more than 20 TDs. Maybe if the Broncos weren't down to their eighth string running back and had something even remotely resembling a defense, Cutler wouldn't have had to throw 70 times a game inevitably resulting in interceptions and arm fatigue. People like to talk about the three game losing streak at the end of the year. How about the six times last year Cutler brought them from behind to win close games in the fourth quarter?
Cutler was lied to, and he still gets paid the same huge goddamn paycheck. He still gets to be the same star Quarterback he has always been. My point is that he was pathetic to not move on from the situation. He was being a premadonna and needs to shut up and know his place. The right way to do business is once you sign the contract, you let the upper management do what they need to do and you play the way you're paid to. It's as simple as that. I saw those intense games Cutler played in, and whatever way you want to spin it, arm fatigue or not, they didn't make the playoffs. Again, Denver cannot be blamed, being a business and all, for waying their options.
Sterling
Administrator

Post by Sterling »

JoePesci wrote:
Avon wrote:
JoePesci wrote:Jason Campbell was almost traded for Cutler and he damn well knows it and just shut his mouth, took his check, and is ready to train and play for the contract that he is signed. Cutler fucked up the Broncos' season last year. They shopped Cutler to see if they could get any good offers, can you blame them? That is how business works. Maybe if he didn't have a four game lead in his division, then lose the four game lead, (the last four games of the season, which has never been done), including the all important final game against San Diego, then Denver wouldn't have even considered shipping him out. His behavior is unjustifiable and Denver has come forward saying they tried to communicate and work it out with him, he just wouldn't talk. He's a great QB, but the dude just needs to grow the fuck up.
Cutler was lied to, and he still gets paid the same huge goddamn paycheck. He still gets to be the same star Quarterback he has always been. My point is that he was pathetic to not move on from the situation. He was being a premadonna and needs to shut up and know his place. The right way to do business is once you sign the contract, you let the upper management do what they need to do and you play the way you're paid to. It's as simple as that. I saw those intense games Cutler played in, and whatever way you want to spin it, arm fatigue or not, they didn't make the playoffs. Again, Denver cannot be blamed, being a business and all, for waying their options.
You know who else didn't make the Playoffs? Oh yeah, Matt Cassel and the Patriots. Denver were free to weigh their options, but for Josh McDaniels what an arrogant fucking prick. He had on his hands a franchise quarterback who compiled big time stats, showed that he can play under pressure and was popular with the fans, but he tried to go out and out the fix in for his system. You know what, Cutler is a primadonna,, but you know what else, most big-time players are. They're highly recruited through HS and U and grow accustomed to a certain way of business. When some guy comes in and starts working cloak and dagger behind your back, lying to you and breaking promises made to you and then can't even keep a lid on it in a place where you have established yourself, guys of that stature do go nuts. But as for McDaniels, he's kicked out a franchise player and replaced him with Neckbeard! Congratulations.
Put it this way, you work a job say you're a lawyer,a junior partner at a firm and you're doing a good job at your firm but the other lawyers are struggling to get the same fees. Then you get word that the senior partners are looking at some one year wonder who won one big case and are planning to lay you off and hire him to replace you. Yeah, you'll probably find a good job somewhere else and be able to sue the firm for millions. But are you just gonna sit there and take that kind of analrapage? Cower away like a mouse?
What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one.
JoePesci

Post by JoePesci »

Avon wrote: You know who else didn't make the Playoffs? Oh yeah, Matt Cassel and the Patriots. Denver were free to weigh their options, but for Josh McDaniels what an arrogant fucking prick. He had on his hands a franchise quarterback who compiled big time stats, showed that he can play under pressure and was popular with the fans, but he tried to go out and out the fix in for his system. You know what, Cutler is a primadonna,, but you know what else, most big-time players are. They're highly recruited through HS and U and grow accustomed to a certain way of business. When some guy comes in and starts working cloak and dagger behind your back, lying to you and breaking promises made to you and then can't even keep a lid on it in a place where you have established yourself, guys of that stature do go nuts. But as for McDaniels, he's kicked out a franchise player and replaced him with Neckbeard! Congratulations.
Put it this way, you work a job say you're a lawyer,a junior partner at a firm and you're doing a good job at your firm but the other lawyers are struggling to get the same fees. Then you get word that the senior partners are looking at some one year wonder who won one big case and are planning to lay you off and hire him to replace you. Yeah, you'll probably find a good job somewhere else and be able to sue the firm for millions. But are you just gonna sit there and take that kind of analrapage? Cower away like a mouse?
And you what happened to Matt Cassel? he was traded. You have to be aware in this business that you can be traded at any time. No player is untouchable. Especially if you don't make the playoffs. They threw Cutler's name out there just to see what else would be tossed in the hat. They could have gotten Campbell or Cassel but they stuck with Cutler, and realized they wanted him. They decided he was right for it and tried to right their wrong through talks and giving him bonuses, etc.
and he didn't want it.

In my opinion, I think that The Broncos should be able to sue Cutler for demanding a trade. He was signed with the team, and refused to even talk to the team let alone go to the camps when they roll around. That is like spitting on millions of dollars. The only reason NFL teams don't sue in that instance is because of all the red tape and player's union bull shit they would have to go through to even see a dime. So it is just easier to trade.

And don't cower away like a mouse, just step up and this year show them you mean business by making the playoffs and don't give them a reason to throw your name in trade talks. And your saying that most people in the NFL are like Cutler, that is not true. I'd say maybe half are at most. You''l hear a story like Eli Manning who says fuck you Chargers, don't draft me because I won't sign (because he's a dick) with you. And then you'll hear a story like Alex Smith Or Jason Campbell who aren't as good, but they come from the same background, and they don't say shit about demanding which team and trades. They understand that whether it is bad business in the office or great business, it isn't their job to get involved with it no matter what.
Sterling
Administrator

Post by Sterling »

Alex Smith?? Seriously?? You do realise that when he leaves the Niners he won't have a job? bad example! And as I already explained with Campbell, the Redskins did not spring a "leak" with their info. You know what, yeah that's right I think McDaniels let it slip intentionally that he was looking into trade possibilities because after he failed to get Cassel he wanted to make sure he showed Cutler who was boss after Cutler was talking about his loyalty to Shanahan. It Backfired on him big-time. The thing is as I already said, all the other teams aren't stupid enough to run around telling everyone their plans.

Seriously are you trying to show that the Pats trading Cassel is an example of how any player can get traded? Everyone and their dog knew he was gonna get traded? You know why? Because if they kept him on the roster with the franchise tag money or resigned him with what would have required a big money deal, that would have been a slight to their Franchise Quarterback Tom Brady; Yeah, you have to understand he would've got pissed.

New Orleans haven't made the playoffs two years in a row now, should they trade Drew Brees? Is he the problem? When the Colts kept going one and done with Peyton choking all the time, should they have ditched him? Realise that the Quarterback is the most important position. If you have one with this kind of talent that's special, you have to build around him, not fuck around with him.
JoePesci

Post by JoePesci »

Avon wrote:Alex Smith?? Seriously?? You do realise that when he leaves the Niners he won't have a job? bad example! And as I already explained with Campbell, the Redskins did not spring a "leak" with their info. You know what, yeah that's right I think McDaniels let it slip intentionally that he was looking into trade possibilities because after he failed to get Cassel he wanted to make sure he showed Cutler who was boss after Cutler was talking about his loyalty to Shanahan. It Backfired on him big-time. The thing is as I already said, all the other teams aren't stupid enough to run around telling everyone their plans.

Seriously are you trying to show that the Pats trading Cassel is an example of how any player can get traded? Everyone and their dog knew he was gonna get traded? You know why? Because if they kept him on the roster with the franchise tag money or resigned him with what would have required a big money deal, that would have been a slight to their Franchise Quarterback Tom Brady; Yeah, you have to understand he would've got pissed.

New Orleans haven't made the playoffs two years in a row now, should they trade Drew Brees? Is he the problem? When the Colts kept going one and done with Peyton choking all the time, should they have ditched him? Realise that the Quarterback is the most important position. If you have one with this kind of talent that's special, you have to build around him, not fuck around with him.
You realize that players are shopped around all the time, big and small. The front office puts people on the block all the time. An example in a different sport. Almost every year Jeter is placed on the trading block just for the Yankees to see what they can get for him. Possibilty maybe someone will give the Yanks a boatload of good players and cash. If Jeter was traded, he'd know why. It is in the end, a business. Does Jeter, being the primetime player that he is, say a goddamn word? No, he sits back and lets the big boys do what needs to be done. No matter what he is going to get to play baseball and collect an enormous check. I can't even believe you are arguing with me about this. Although this is fucking fun as hell to talk about with someone as passionate as you. Reminds me of my old talks with John Petrucci but that is beside the point.

Yeah, I made the point about Cassel being traded because i didn't see what you were getting at with bringing him up. Players can have their agents to check in on the wire. You think that people don't know when they are being shopped. They all fucking know. They just don't make a big pussy deal about like Cutler did. It was inevitable he was going to find out. McDaniels lied because he wanted to keep Cutler. It isn't his job to decide who is traded and such.

Also, on Alex Smith. Like I said, yeah, he isn't good, even downright shitty, but he came from the same background as Cutler and Manning. Heavily recruited, played extremely well at the college level, but didn't demand shit from anyone. He knew his role, and accepted it. He ended up sucking, but how was Eli Manning supposed to know he'd play excellently. He demanded shit before he was in the league. I can tell that is the same egotistical shit Cutler flings around, and if he was professional at all he would have sat back and just done what he was paid to do. He is not paid to demand trades and get whatever the fuck he wants.
Sterling
Administrator

Post by Sterling »

I don't really know what else to say, I think we exhausted the topic. The thing about Alex Smith he wasn't even that good of a prospect coming out of college. He dominated sub-par opposition and had the benefit of being a quarterback in a very weak draft class. The 49ers by the way clearly haven't learnt anything they cleared out the4 last of the Bill Walsh disciples; They actually came out and said that they would not pick Matthew Stafford should he be available because in interviews he was not very forthcoming with information about his parents divorce. I mean really!! There are about twenty legitimate reasons they could have thrown out there.

You can say all you want about teams shopping their best players. I don't care what happens in MLB or NBA because they both have shitty commissioners who may very possibly enjoy frequenting gloryholes. But the Colts were never shopping Peyton Manning. The Patriots weren't shopping Brady when he was healthy. Do you really believe it's possible that the Falcons are shopping Matt Ryan? If they are, they would be extraordinarily stupid because there is nothing more difficult to find in pro football than an elite quarterback. There is no figure that fans are drawn to more and as evidenced by what happens at the top of drafts - To quote Scott Wright, why are left tackles in such high demand? Because they protect the quarterback. Why are pass rushers in such high demand? Because they disrupt the quarterback. Why are shutdown cornerbacks in such high demand? Because they stop the quarterbacks. See a pattern? The game of football revolves around quarterbacks.

So all I really want to say is that Josh McDaniels is an arrogant cunt and if ever there was a coach who deserved to go 0-16 it would be him.
RobotWillie

Post by RobotWillie »

Rod Marinelli, the Lions coach the last three years, is now the Bears defensive line coach.
JoePesci

Post by JoePesci »

Avon wrote:I don't really know what else to say, I think we exhausted the topic. The thing about Alex Smith he wasn't even that good of a prospect coming out of college. He dominated sub-par opposition and had the benefit of being a quarterback in a very weak draft class. The 49ers by the way clearly haven't learnt anything they cleared out the4 last of the Bill Walsh disciples; They actually came out and said that they would not pick Matthew Stafford should he be available because in interviews he was not very forthcoming with information about his parents divorce. I mean really!! There are about twenty legitimate reasons they could have thrown out there.

You can say all you want about teams shopping their best players. I don't care what happens in MLB or NBA because they both have shitty commissioners who may very possibly enjoy frequenting gloryholes. But the Colts were never shopping Peyton Manning. The Patriots weren't shopping Brady when he was healthy. Do you really believe it's possible that the Falcons are shopping Matt Ryan? If they are, they would be extraordinarily stupid because there is nothing more difficult to find in pro football than an elite quarterback. There is no figure that fans are drawn to more and as evidenced by what happens at the top of drafts - To quote Scott Wright, why are left tackles in such high demand? Because they protect the quarterback. Why are pass rushers in such high demand? Because they disrupt the quarterback. Why are shutdown cornerbacks in such high demand? Because they stop the quarterbacks. See a pattern? The game of football revolves around quarterbacks.

So all I really want to say is that Josh McDaniels is an arrogant cunt and if ever there was a coach who deserved to go 0-16 it would be him.
Yeah, they (being elite quarterbacks) are hard to find. Very hard to find. But the thing is, Cutler hasn't established himself as a primetime player with only one pro bowl appearance under his belt, two years of actual starting, and not even a deep playoff run to show for it. You know what Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have? Oh yeah, Superbowl rings. One great year does not mean a player gets whatever the hell he wants. Especially without even making the playoffs. And he could have been tired the last four games, whatever. He just needed to play well in that final game, and carry the Broncos over the Chargers, then they would have made the playoffs and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Sterling
Administrator

Post by Sterling »

I really have a hard time deciphering how it's Cutler's fault that the defense gave up 52 points and nearly 300 yards rushing. Don't forget it took Don't forget it took Peyton Manning 6 years in the league before he won his first playoff game and 9 years before his first Super Bowl. Does that mean he wasn't an elite Quarterback before then? Cutler may not be in the very top tier yet but he's close, and close is a damn sight better than about 85% of the rest of the league.
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

Schedule is out and wondering how they think their team will fair.

I think ours will be fairly rough overall but should still be able to win division and get to the playoffs.
Pitt on opening day should be interesting,always a rough game and a good one to get out of the gate.
They probably want to make Lenfat pay for the stomping of their yellow toilet paper towel.

Lastly finally we do a throw back to the oilers Uni's,ugly but still want to see a throw back and it's to the 60's oilers with the blue helmets.
:)
JoePesci

Post by JoePesci »

Avon wrote:I really have a hard time deciphering how it's Cutler's fault that the defense gave up 52 points and nearly 300 yards rushing. Don't forget it took Don't forget it took Peyton Manning 6 years in the league before he won his first playoff game and 9 years before his first Super Bowl. Does that mean he wasn't an elite Quarterback before then? Cutler may not be in the very top tier yet but he's close, and close is a damn sight better than about 85% of the rest of the league.
Yeah, and it doesn't matter. I agree that Cutler is a goddamn fantastic player, and probably one of the top 5 QB's today, but he hasn't established himself as one. He didn't bring the Bronco's a winning season even. I don't care if he had no front line and no receivers, it didn't happen. The only way QB's can establish themselves as primetime is by winning games. It doesn't matter what stats you put up without wins.
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

I like the new lions logo but the jags new unis are horrible.
Looks like a teal version of the Eagles now.
JoePesci

Post by JoePesci »

Yeah man, the Lions are going to be awesome now!!

But seriously, the logo looks a lot better even though the new design is simple as fuck. Does make it less boring though.