Programs you can't live without?

Discuss the latest in computers and technology. Seriously, there's like a new cool gadget every week.
Agent Of Fortune

Programs you can't live without?

Post by Agent Of Fortune »

What programs can't you live without? They can be really big, important things, or just silly things that you've grown accustomed to, and can't see yourself without it.

The big one for me is Notepad++. I love the speed and compactness to it. As a programmer, I love the different features that come with it, such as syntax highlighting and (limited) intellisense/auto-completion. I also love the Compare function to it. It's saved my ass as a programmer many times.

It's also just a really good replacement for Notepad. Great for reading and writing text files, scripts, bat files, etc.

Another program I need to have is Winamp. I know other things like WMP do a lot more, but Winamp is the best mix of form and function for me. I love the speed of the search, as well.

Finally, Media Player Classic. Great free player for watching movies. Kicks the ass of every other movie player I've seen.
Bambi

Re: Programs you can't live without?

Post by Bambi »

Some kind of high end video editing software, I like Sony Vegas but it's limitations are starting to become an issue for me. Nothing really besides that, I love how well VLC works right out of the box though.

Oh and I hate this new Firefox, if I wasn't so lazy I'd roll back to whatever version I was using before this.
Agent Of Fortune

I'm also not a big fan of Firefox 4. I don't like that you can't make the status bar stationary. I also hate that with both FF 4 and IE 9, they have the "tab first" design of Google Chrome. So far, I haven't been able to figure out how to get rid of it.

Finally, I've noticed that FF4 works a lot better on 7 than XP. With 7, it holds my setting of "Clear my Browser History on Close" whereas on XP, it would get rid of that setting every few days. Pretty annoying.
Ryudo

Post by Ryudo »

Right click >customize>menu bar

As for tabs Right click>Tabs on bottom/top.
Sterling
Administrator

Post by Sterling »

I pretty much went back to old Firefox immediately... if it gets better let me know, 'cause I'll just keep cancelling it until then :mrgreen:
What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one.
Yukupo
Administrator

Post by Yukupo »

I like Firefox 4 and the new layout. (It's my main browser, but I have all the major browsers installed: IE, FireFox, Chrome, Opera, and Safari.)

Anyway, I have a huge list of software I install when I format my computer. Among my top programs are:

Adobe Creative Suite (mostly Photoshop)
Paint Tool Sai (Great for drawing.)
Microsoft Office (mostly Outlook)
Notepad++ (Good for editing most text files.)
Filezilla (Free FTP client!)
Windows Live Messenger (Although, it continues getting worse and worse.)
Zune (How I typically listen to my music these days. Plus my Windows Phone connects through it. But I also use WMP and Winamp too.)
Steam (Games, duh.)

There's a lot of other things but I suppose those are the big ones. One day soon I might say Visual Studio if I get heavily into coding.
Agent Of Fortune

Ah yes, good ole VS. I think one of the best things Microsoft ever did was release free versions of their Visual Studio suite for the non-professional developer. It really is second to none when it comes to developing applications. Great, great program. I'm still on VS 2008, because XNA and Dark GDK aren't yet compatible with 2010... at least when I last checked. It might be different now.

I'll have to look into Paint Tool Sai. Just did a quick search on it and it looks cool.
darkly

Post by darkly »

PS3 Media server and a bunch of other programs that I use to watch/burn movies that ... uh sometimes randomly appear on my computer.
Vyse Hazuky

Post by Vyse Hazuky »

I think I could live without any program.
It has been a while since I thought "hey, this is a really nice feature" or something. Everything seems a bit too standardized these days. Different programs that end up doing the same things, more or less.