Shenmue Anime Announced

Discuss the Shenmue saga!
Brotherman

Shenmue Anime Announced

Post by Brotherman »

No one was surprised when a Shenmue anime was announced because everything is getting an anime. But there's reason to be especially excited about a Shenmue adaptation: the series has always been character- and narrative-driven, and considering what a cliffhanger Shenmue 3 ended on (despite an 18-year wait) there's a lot of people eager for more. The third and most important reason is that Shenmue is awesome. That should be enough.

That's the trailer above, and sadly there's not a forklift in sight. The footage suggests the anime is leaning into the harder-edged side of the Shenmue universe, ie, the parts where people beat the shit out of each other. That makes better TV than turtle races and goose catching, I guess.

The production is a joint Crunchyroll / Adult Swim effort, with Shenmue executive producer Yu Suzuki involved as an executive producer. One Punch Man director Chikara Sakurai is directing. The 13-episode series is expected to launch next year.

Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/shenmue-anime-f ... a-trailer/
Oh snap! :D
Yukupo
Administrator

Re: Shenmue Anime Announced

Post by Yukupo »

Anyone watched this yet? I still haven't lol.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

Yukupo wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:03 am Anyone watched this yet? I still haven't lol.
I watched the first episode (maybe first 2, I can't remember) when it first came out.

It seemed pretty good tbh, I just haven't gotten around to watching it completely.
Brotherman

Post by Brotherman »

I binge watched the first season last month. :eatpopcorn: It was pretty good. They changed the script slightly, but definitely better than watching the Shenmue “movie” from back in the day. :lol:
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

Spoiler tag it I guess, but how far into the games does the anime go so far?
Brotherman

Post by Brotherman »

Chaos wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:37 pm Spoiler tag it I guess, but how far into the games does the anime go so far?
It goes from the beginning of Shenmue 1 to the end of 2. Feels like they changed and shortened the portions of Shenmue 1 the most. I guess to make it flow better. But the majority of everything in the games is there, other than the side games.